This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok delted all files oh my home directory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vincentmm
Registered Member
Hi!
I'm using Amarok
Version 2.8.0
Utilise KDE 4.14.1 and opensuse 13.1.

I wanted to update my local collection.

At the end of the process all files except the folder pictures included hided files were deleted.

So I use the opportunity to install leap 42.1.
I have backup for almost everything, but I don't think it is the goal of amarok to do that ;-)

v m
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I very much doubt Amarok did anything like that, unless you explicitly told it to remove files.

What exactly did you do when you updated your collection? Just clicking "update Collection" re-reads present files in the collection location and updates the database, it does absolutely nothing on the files itself.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
vincentmm
Registered Member
Amarok started very slowly.
The defaul collection folder was set to my home Directory.
I've change to a folder on another partition and clicked full scan.

After some minutes, every files was deleted.
I've checked the disk (Journals, bad sectors), nothing.

On my home partition evrey single (hided too) files were deleted (folders remained empty)
On the other partiton in the folder I've inidicated to amarok, every mp3 files were leleted, just the files .m3u remained.
All other files of this partition remained untouched.

The other home directories, and partitions are safe!

So, I'm afraid, but something bad happened with amarok.
Best,
v
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Really, I don't see how this could happen, unless you, instead of changing the folder in the settings, chose the option to "reorganise" the collection, which explicitly moves files to another location. This needs enough space (at least double the space needed by the files, e.g. enough on both locations (source and destination)) to perform correctly and is certainly the wrong approach if you just want to use another folder for the collection.

Also, by default, Amarok uses /home/yourhome/Music/ for the collection location, if you did indeed change that to /home/yourhome/ at some point, then told Amarok to move the files, it just did what you told it to do, but that is not the right way to update a collection, nor is it Amarok's fault if you chose to move all files.

Correct procedure to change the collection location: Go to the Amarok Settings Menu -> Configure Amarok -> Local Collection, choose the new folder where the Music files are located, choose Full rescan, then click "OK" or "Apply"

To update the collection: got to the Amarok Menu Tools -> Update collection

All this is explained in the handbook, available through Amarok and online at http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
vincentmm
Registered Member
Ok, I've just change the folder and nothing more.
I've lost everything.
I've been using amarok for years and I read the documentation.
I was not asking for a course on how using amarok.

I'm just telling what happened.

If you don'care, certainly you are right.

I'll instal leap 4.21 and will use clementine.
Cheers,
v
Mamarok
Manager
OS
But you used the Organise collection method, instead of changing it in the settings. If you change it in the settings there are no actions on the files, that I am 100% certain. If you don't believe me, look at the code!

scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Mamarok wrote:Also, by default, Amarok uses /home/yourhome/Music/ for the collection location, if you did indeed change that to /home/yourhome/ at some point, then told Amarok to move the files, it just did what you told it to do, but that is not the right way to update a collection, nor is it Amarok's fault if you chose to move all files.

"it did what you told it to" is not necessarily a sufficient argument that this behaviour is okay, though. You can certainly design programs such that users are less likely to trigger behaviour they did not intend ... thus, I would suggest to try and figure out what went wrong here, since clearly this behaviour of the application is undesirable, and it might make sense to detect and prevent it with a check or at least add a warning.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS
@vincentmm:

Could you describe what happened, where the problem is, and how you think it could be solved?

It seems here that we didn't get the problem right..

Btw, to go to Clementine, we have cookies :)
vincentmm
Registered Member
I have not much to say.
I have separate folder in a separate partition for my music.
Amarok did never accepted it. It regularly put it back to my home directory (I have no Music directory in it).

I put new song on my computer, and then configuration - local collection (my home directory was indicated again).
I changed it to the separate folder separate partition and clicked on complete rescan.

That's all.

All files of the home directory and files in the seprate folder were deleted (included hided files, config files...).

First I thought I had some bad sectors. But no the disk is ok, the journals are ok (ext4).

And every other directories are ok.

I don't know what happened, but it is difficult to me to believe Amarok has nothing to do with that.

Anyway: if I'm the only one person who experienced such thing, I agree with Mamarok, it doesn't deserve anything than a lesson: I told you, you did wrong!
I just lost a day to try to recover files and will lost another one to make a fresh new install.
v
ochurlaud
KDE Developer
OS
Yes but maybe you did wrong, but it should not happen :)

It's like if the delete button is near the play button: if you click on delete, it will delete, however it's not ergonomic.

If you think you just misclicked and that there is nothing to learn about this, let's just say it solved.

Else we can try to see the ergonomic problem and raise an issue.
vincentmm
Registered Member
I just have a rescan and import button.

I don't even know how to delete files with amarok.

Thanks for your times.

I just wanted to inform Amarok team.

The answer of Mamarok is clear.

Nesxt time I won't.
It's time to close the subject.