This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unknown Issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rnickel
Registered Member

Unknown Issue

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm
The purpose of this post is to inform developers about my recent Amarok experience so hopefully it can be further developed for other users in the future.
1st some quick background information: I recently switched to Fedora/Cinnamon GUI from windows and have been searching for a good music media player. I tried Amarok, and I hate to say I am very dissapointed, as far as I can tell it did not work as intended whatsoever.
My music library is about 600GB with many FLAC/Cue items but most are MP3. Meta info is set correctly for every single track I have. When I targted my music folder in Amarok, it scanned for a while then the app completely froze up and I had to force quit.
When I loaded the app again, absolutely nothing was in my media library and some kind of network connection failure bubbles kept popping up in the bottom right. Amarok also said there was multiple background processes running but it would not show me what they were and the app constantly locks up.
I realize some media players have trouble importing large media library's, but I have never experienced problems to this extent.
Perhaps i'm doing something wrong, admitting I didn't really read any online documentation.

Admin edit: add line breaks to make this post more readable
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Unknown Issue

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:01 pm
First of all: could you please copy & paste the information located in the Amarok help menu -> Diagnostics, to know what exactly your setup is, so far you didn't even mention the version.
Could you please also answer the following questions, trying to corner what is going wrong in your setup:
- What platform do you run Amarok on?
- Did you change something in the basic settings?
- Where is your collection located physically?

Then please try running amarok by starting it from a command line, with the following arguments:
Code: Select all
amarok -d --nofork

Of course, making a first time database with such a large collection takes quite some time, running the standalone amarokcollectionscanner might be an alternative.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
rnickel
Registered Member

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:02 am
Hello and thank you for responding,
It would have been useful for me provide program info in my first post. This is my "uname -a" results:
"Linux localhost.localdomain 4.5.7-200.fc23.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 17:41:50 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"

After re-installing Amarok and trying to reload my music database, this is from Menu>Diagnostics:

Amarok Diagnostics

Amarok Version: 2.8.0
KDE Version: 4.14.20
Qt Version: 4.8.7
Phonon Version: 4.9.0
Phonon Backend: GStreamer (4.9.0)
PulseAudio: Yes

Amarok Scripts:
Amarok Script Console 1.0 (stopped)
Lyricwiki .2 (running)
Free Music Charts 1.6.0 (running)
Librivox.org 1.0 (running)
Cool Streams 1.0 (running)

Amarok Plugins:
AudioCd Collection (enabled)
DAAP Collection (disabled)
MTP Collection (enabled)
MySQLServer Collection (enabled)
MySQLe Collection (enabled)
UPnP Collection (disabled)
Universal Mass Storage Collection (enabled)
iPod, iPad & iPhone Collection (enabled)
Ampache (disabled)
Jamendo (enabled)
Last.fm (enabled)
MP3 Music Store (enabled)
MP3tunes (disabled)
Magnatune Store (enabled)
Podcast Directory (enabled)
gpodder.net (disabled)

I changed no settings other than targeting my music library. The same result happened with this 2nd install, seemed to be loading my library then froze up after maybe 10 minutes. When I closed and reload the app it freezes up completely. My collection is located on an additional HDD physically located in my PC that is mounted upon start up.

Running from terminal as "amarok -d --nofork" has the same result of the app freezing
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 am
Thank you for the information. This still leaves the question: on which platform do you run Amarok? KDE4? Plasma5? Something else?

If it freezes, you should be able to get a backtrace. Please see also
https://community.kde.org/Amarok/Develo ... _of_Amarok

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...