This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Artist Tag - Multiple Entries

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jgravelle
Registered Member

Artist Tag - Multiple Entries

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:19 am
Hi everyone,

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, and turned up empty and a bit discouraged...so I thought I'd post the question on here:

How does Amarok 2.8 parse the "Artist" tag when there are multiple entries?

What I've noticed; if I list multiple entries (artists) in the Artist tag it appears in the Amarok "Local Collection" the same way. For example, if I have two songs:

• Title: Song 1
  • Artist: Jane Doe

• Tile: Song 2
  • Artist Jane Doe and Mike Smith

In Amarok I will get two unique Track Artists (one for "Jane Doe", and the other "Jane Doe and Mike Smith") in the Local Collection list, instead of one for Jane Doe and one for Mike Smith...and Song 1 & 2 under Jane Doe, and just Song 2 under Mike Smith. Is this the expected behaviour in Amarok or is there a separator I can use in the Artist tag on Song 2? I did some searching on the web and other music collection management/player software do list characters such as '\\' or ';' as separators for this sort of situation...but I couldn't find anything for Amarok. If there is a separator, what is it? Also (this might be a future feature request) is it possible to define my own?

Don't get me wrong...I love Amarok, and have been using it since the 1.4 days, and will always continue to use it...but I do see this multiple artist tag thing as a bit of a inconvenience.

Thanks,

Jim.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Artist Tag - Multiple Entries

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27 am
As far as I know there is no way to separate multiple artists. What you can do is to add the second artist in brackets in the song title to make sure there is no separation of tracks in different albums, or add the second name as a comment, or as a label.
There already is a feature request for multiple artists in the bugtracker: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119539

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jgravelle
Registered Member

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 pm
Hi,

I tried what you suggested and put the main artist first in the Artist tag, then the other artists in brackets, like this:

AC/DC (Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Guns 'N' Roses, Metallica, Nirvana)

In the "Local Music" list it still shows as two separate artist entries. I would expect that the song would now appear under "AD/DC", and there would be a separate artist entry for all the artists in the bracket. If I misunderstood what you meant, can you please provide examples?

I also checked that feature request and it look like it might be dead: the last update was in 2013 and the Wiki link describing the feature request is broken.

Is there perhaps an Amarok script that would add this functionality?

Thanks,

Jim
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 am
I think you misunderstood what I said :-)
I put the additional artists in brackets behind the song title, not in the artist tag. You can also use the feat. mention, this is often used as well.
And again, multiple artists are currently not supported, see the feature request. A feature request doesn't have to be updated, as long as it is open, it is valid.
I updated the wiki link, our wiki has moved a while ago, I just don't have time to update all references, takes more time than what I currently have, sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jgravelle
Registered Member

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:37 am
Yes...I did misunderstand what you said...my bad.

I have done the "featuring" thing in the TITLE with other songs, but sometimes that doesn't work (or make sense) with a Mix or Compilation.

I read the Wiki and now it makes sense as to why its taking a while: there are a lot of moving parts to consider. It also seems like its a hot topic for many other players, not just Amarok.

Thanks for updating the Wiki link and answering my question!

Jim.