This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Play music from compressed files (Feature Req)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
witek
Can You - amarok developers - add feature to play music from zip, rar or others compresed files as decompress of the fly?

I will be very userfull for me and many of my friends.

Witek
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
Click into the archive in konqueror, then drag the items to the playlist, works good. Although I wouldn't mind being able to do this from the file browser.
Max Howell
Alumni
Yo madpenguin! You can browser any kioslave from the filebrowser, and naturally this includes tar. audiocd is another popular one.

But if you want to click into it, which makes sense, I'll have to figure out how to do that. Good plan.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Maybe its because the zip file I was playing from was so huge (like 650 mb) or b/c it was zip:/, but I've found that currently dragging a zip file contents from Konqueror into AmaroK results in a lot of chopped up audio.

Amarok Developer
Aldoo
Then, is it possible to display the zip files (and other kio-supported archives) in the browser tab (along with plain directories) ?
CrashBox
hey there..... just want to say how great amaroK works for me. like this topic mentions, it would be great to add archive support. i use foobar2000 on my windows system, and the thing i liked about it the most is that i can have all my albums in .rar\'s, and i could add the rar to the playlist or collection, and i could play each song without having to extract from the archive, would do it on the fly. i think this would be a great feature to add. just helps me save space and keep things organized.

-thanx
n00b
Yeah, like foobar playing compressed files on-the-fly thing is a must for amaroK. Please implement this!
Mike Diehl
Registered Member
I don\'t understand the logic behind putting music files in a zip or whatever.

┌─(mike@SledgeHammer)(09:28:42)
└─(~/music_temp)-> du -b American\\ Idiot
73418901 American Idiot
┌─(mike@SledgeHammer)(09:28:46)
└─(~/music_temp)-> ls -l
total 212032
drwxr-xr-x 2 mike users 4096 Oct 20 21:27 American Idiot
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike users 71882084 Oct 20 21:25 American Idiot.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike users 71569348 Oct 20 21:26 American Idiot.tar.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike users 73427923 Oct 10 17:27 American Idiot.zip

If you notice, the zip is actually larger, and gzip and bzip2 have almost no effect at all. Seems like a waste of cpu to pull the items out of the archive as there is no space trade off for putting them in there.
Flavio
Many P2P networks do not support \"bundles\" a-la bittorent so if you extract an archive you cannot share that music anymore.
Boulotaur2024
Registered Member
Yea, another vote for an archive reader implementation, it would be *extremely useful*, I love that feature on foobar, it's a must.

(I thought Amarok already allowed to load archives btw).