This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

gstreamer or arts?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Joe

gstreamer or arts?

Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:30 am
read the subject because i have no idea which is better, or how to even get gstreamer to work
eean

Re:gstreamer or arts?

Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:17 am
you answered your own question. gstreamer isn't worth putting any effort in unless your having some problems with arts. I think gstreamer is intended more for non-KDE platforms and for future use (KDE might switch to gstreamer).
Freggy

Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:09 am
I'm currently using amarok with latest gstreamer with zero problems! Actually I hope that all application (either KDE, Gnome and anything else) will use gstreamer as a backend. Then I could stop running artsd. My hardware supports sound mixing, so artsd is only an extra resource hog.
don

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:30 am
I think the answer is here:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/d ... und-server

you can use both ...
tortoise

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:46 pm
what about the xine backend
Toojays

Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:28 pm
On my iBook I found that artsd would randomly crash, and the KDE people haven't responded to my bug report for about a month. So I switched to gstreamer, and it seems like it should be better, except that it leaks memory.

Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Amarok was leaking pretty bad, so I tried like "gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=/home/toojays/117_.mp3 ! mad ! alsasink", and that leaked . . . it also leaked playing Ogg Vorbis files. This is with gstreamer-0.8.5 and gst-plugins-0.8.3.

So for now, I still don't have a solution I like. :( XMMS using OSS emulation works fine (it's not so good with the direct alsa output), but then it blocks the sound card, and besides, I like amarok better.
Toojays

Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:20 am
Aha . . . I downgraded my gstreamer to 0.8.3 and plugins to 0.8.2, and amarok's memory usage is now stable. Now I just need to fix my hard-drive buffer situation and life will be perfect.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:13 pm
Toojays wrote:
So I switched to gstreamer, and it seems like it should be better, except that it leaks memory.

Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Amarok was leaking pretty bad, so I tried like "gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=/home/toojays/117_.mp3 ! mad ! alsasink", and that leaked . . . it also leaked playing Ogg Vorbis files. This is with gstreamer-0.8.5 and gst-plugins-0.8.3.

Dunno which amaroK version you were using, but the 1.1 series does not leak memory in gst-engine, and GStreamer itself doesn't leak either.

What you've been observing with your gst-launch pipeline was probably just the file being mmapped in the filesrc, which temporarily allocates buffer memory.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Toojays

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:45 pm
[/quote]
Dunno which amaroK version you were using, but the 1.1 series does not leak memory in gst-engine, and GStreamer itself doesn't leak either.

What you've been observing with your gst-launch pipeline was probably just the file being mmapped in the filesrc, which temporarily allocates buffer memory.[/quote]
Well I'm still using amarok 1.0.2, but with those other versions of the gst stuff, memory usage would increase as the music played, so that after playing an album, amarok was holding down a couple of hundred meg of ram! This is no longer occuring.