This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Just an idea :)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
themadtux
Registered Member

Just an idea :)

Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:17 am
I have to say that Amarok is a sweet program. I have a couple suggestions if I may post them. Now mind you I'm still running 0.9 because I can't get 1.0.1 to compile on my 64bit SuSE box and the RPM install I found just didn't work ended up breaking Amarok.

Well anyways.. one of the programs that this reminds me of is a program that I use at work on my windows machine called MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com for the products page http://www.mediamonkey.com/product.htm) this program absolutely rocks. And it does one thing that I think Amarok would benefit from. MM has the ability to create the playlists on the fly. What it does is it searches the folder or drive of yoiur choise as well as any subdirectories. It will then take all the files and read the tags of the files and then categorize them.. This right here beats the hell out of creating playlists I think. You simply go to the menu and tell it to add to the database and where to look and wham it's updated/added.

Not sure if this is planned or not but thought I'd throw it out there for ya..

I really dig this app and can't wait to see it mature and gain more features and clean up some features.

BTW, is the player portion skinnable?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

-Jason

SuSE 9.1 64bit
Max Howell
Alumni

Re:Just an idea :)

Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:53 am
This is what JuK does though isn't it?
themadtux

Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:13 am
mxcl wrote:
This is what JuK does though isn't it?

Well I didn't get to use Juk long enough to find out.. I used it a bit but never saw anywhere where you can have it search a specified directory and add any mp3's it finds into the database/playlist and sort via different tag items etc.

If it does.. how do I go about doing it.. I really don't want to go back to Juk because I reallly like Amarok!

-Jason
eean

Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:01 am
JuK is all about the database, it's the only way you can use it really.

amaroK recently added a database feature. Its not really the most polished feature though. I would suggest getting the newest version to install. If you have compile problems that you think are related to your processor (and not due to having the correct versions of libraries and what not) they would probably be interested in your bug report, check out bugs.kde.org
Mike Diehl
Registered Member

Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:04 pm
Can you paste your errors from compiling on AMD64. I'm on an AMD64 platform and have had no problems building amaroK. This is just a hunch, but also what is your configure command, maybe this could be a similar problem with SuSE and building the ipod kio slave, here is a clip from the ipod slave README

* On a SuSE AMD64 add the --enable-libsuffix=64 configure switch
(is this true for other AMD64 distros too?)