This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Make it easy, and make it FUN

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Sultan

Make it easy, and make it FUN

Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:50 am
amarok totally and completely rocks - I recently moved over to linux from windows once and for all after putting it off for 2 years, and this program is the best thing I installed since doing so .. BUT ..

What if Amarok had the ability to help u change your mp3s tags ? U load a few Bob Dylan songs in amarok, and they're shown under two different artists, "Bob Dylan" and Bob "Dylan and the Band" .. For the sake of consistancy u want to change the tags for all the files that say Bob Dylan and the Band to Bob Dylan .. can't u just point, click, select a few songs, right click, and change all of them ? you know that kinda thing

Also, the only thing I miss that ran on windows is Meedio (meedio.tv) - Full screen, skinnable home theater pc software, and while I didn't use it for PVR at all, I had it set up with my music collection of 1000 albums - Click the thumbnail of the artist u want, click the thumbnail of the album u want, and you're set .. would be nice to see that in amarok wouldn't it ?.

Bear in mind I'm not suggesting a drastic remake of amarok, but the area of dedicated, small, and probably slow media pcs and mp3 jukeboxes fits linux like a glove .. Also, automatic cover art downloads would be a nice feature .. Hide them, don't put them in the album path, do what ever it takes to overcome what legal issues that may pose but come on ! Do u know how hard it is to download cover art for 200 albums manually ? lol

Yes I love my music, and I am kinda anal about having everything sorted and neet and looking great, but greater usability and more intuative interfaces are exactly what linux needs to leave windows in the dust - I hope ..

Come on people, make linux FUN ! lol

Thank you for your hard work and please keep it up
Regards
Max Howell
Alumni

Re:Make it easy, and make it FUN

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:55 am
Sultan wrote:
amarok totally and completely rocks - I recently moved over to linux from windows once and for all after putting it off for 2 years, and this program is the best thing I installed since doing so .. BUT ..
Cheers :)

What if Amarok had the ability to help u change your mp3s tags ? U load a few Bob Dylan songs in amarok, and they're shown under two different artists, "Bob Dylan" and Bob "Dylan and the Band" .. For the sake of consistancy u want to change the tags for all the files that say Bob Dylan and the Band to Bob Dylan .. can't u just point, click, select a few songs, right click, and change all of them ? you know that kinda thing
If you select some tracks and right click the top one you can "fill-down" like a spreadsheet. For the track column it auto-increments the number too. Tips for making this more clear would be appreciated.. :)

Also, the only thing I miss that ran on windows is Meedio (meedio.tv) - Full screen, skinnable home theater pc software, and while I didn't use it for PVR at all, I had it set up with my music collection of 1000 albums - Click the thumbnail of the artist u want, click the thumbnail of the album u want, and you're set .. would be nice to see that in amarok wouldn't it ?.
Yeah sounds good, but where do we get the images of the artists? Is there a web portal like amazon that'll provide them?

Bear in mind I'm not suggesting a drastic remake of amarok, but the area of dedicated, small, and probably slow media pcs and mp3 jukeboxes fits linux like a glove .. Also, automatic cover art downloads would be a nice feature .. Hide them, don't put them in the album path, do what ever it takes to overcome what legal issues that may pose but come on ! Do u know how hard it is to download cover art for 200 albums manually ? lol
CVS amaroK has a cover manager that lets you d/l all cover art at once.

Yes I love my music, and I am kinda anal about having everything sorted and neet and looking great, but greater usability and more intuative interfaces are exactly what linux needs to leave windows in the dust - I hope ..

Come on people, make linux FUN ! lol

Thank you for your hard work and please keep it up
Regards
np, we'll try our best! Thanks for the comments.
Sultan

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:20 am
I think amazon.com publishes an api, as do other sites ..

Thanks for the tip about filling in tags

again, a fullscreen skinnable interface is a huge selling point for many users - something with cover art thumbnails - more pix, less text, large readable fonts .. chech out overnight music console which i kinda dislike but it goes far in the right direction, and ejukebox .. meedio and the rest of the herd also implement the idea well .. they are programs designed to be viewed in the living room on a tv and thus have to be idiotproof - to make them as easy to use as possible for the uninitiated ..

how about an html album browser with cover art thumbnails that could be used with a remote control ? i realise there are other ways to do it - flash perhaps being the most visually atractive alternative i've seen, but html seems to be preferred and could be easily accessed from anywhere - control ur music from ur pda/mobile pfone ..

*envisioning a wireless home where the music follows me from room to room and i can control it from anywhere*

damn it s a good thing i don't have a real say in amarok .. otherwise it would bloat like nothing !
Sultan

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:20 am
I think amazon.com publishes an api, as do other sites ..

Thanks for the tip about filling in tags

again, a fullscreen skinnable interface is a huge selling point for many users - something with cover art thumbnails - more pix, less text, large readable fonts .. chech out overnight music console which i kinda dislike but it goes far in the right direction, and ejukebox .. meedio and the rest of the herd also implement the idea well .. they are programs designed to be viewed in the living room on a tv and thus have to be idiotproof - to make them as easy to use as possible for the uninitiated ..

how about an html album browser with cover art thumbnails that could be used with a remote control ? i realise there are other ways to do it - flash perhaps being the most visually atractive alternative i've seen, but html seems to be preferred and could be easily accessed from anywhere - control ur music from ur pda/mobile pfone ..

*envisioning a wireless home where the music follows me from room to room and i can control it from anywhere*

damn it s a good thing i don't have a real say in amarok .. otherwise it would bloat like nothing !