This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Ideas wanted for new icon

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Ideas wanted for new icon

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm
Hi amaroKers,

we're looking for ideas for a new (systray-) icon for amaroK. While the old icon was great in our opinion, it looked too similar to the KMix icon, leading to some confusion. SuSE has offered to provide us with a new icon, putting their excellent graphics artist Ken on the job. Now we just need a good idea for a good looking, recognizable and distinctive icon.

Fresh ideas from the amaroK community are needed! :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
-

Re:Ideas wanted for new icon

Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:43 pm
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:31 pm
- wrote:

Systray icon is just 16x16 pixel, AFAIR. Not sure you could still recognize such a complex image..

--
eean

Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:46 am
...how about a stylized wave form thing. I don't know really. I guess it could be something unrelated to music, just make it overall logo.

I rather like the current icon, though I see how it creates a problem with KMix. Why doesn't it get a new icon. ;)
slashdot

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:08 pm
I would go for a stylized letter A. Maybe attach a K as an (mathematical) exponent, in case you're crazy for the K like all other KDE apps are. IMO the K is used way too often already.
Example:
[img]http://www.3danim.de/images/logos/amarok.png[/img]
yakhan

Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:33 am
I like the idea of a new icon, the current one IS too similar to kmix.

Ideally I'd go with a jukebox, but that's too complex probably. My best guess is to pick some instrument and go with it. A guitar, sax, violin or something.

Otherwise... hmmm... maybe a record with the needle on it... maybe the icon could show the record swapping when the album changed =]
brk3

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:22 am
ya good idea-funny enough i was just thinking it was a little annoying the way it clashed with the kmix icon. i quite like the letter A idea :)
David

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:06 pm
I would rather like the Kmix icon to be changed! In my opinion it's a bit ugly.
But I think it's unrealistic to expect that there will be any change on this.

Therefor my second proposal:
I like the original amarok icon very much, so why not put a stylish white A over it... let's say with 70% opacity?
NZ fan

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:36 pm
What ever you change it to make it related to music. The current speaker works well for my family/friends to reconise it as the music player. Besides I don't have kmix running in the system tray so the speaker is ok for me.

If you must change, what about using the musical note symbol. Like whats written on sheet music. If you choose something unrelated like a stylised letter "A" then there is no visual connection to what the icon represents and that confuses people who only use it occationally such as friends.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:39 pm
NZ fan wrote:
What ever you change it to make it related to music. The current speaker works well for my family/friends to reconise it as the music player. Besides I don't have kmix running in the system tray so the speaker is ok for me.

If you must change, what about using the musical note symbol. Like whats written on sheet music. If you choose something unrelated like a stylised letter "A" then there is no visual connection to what the icon represents and that confuses people who only use it occationally such as friends.

Problem is that a future version of amaroK might support video. So we can't choose any symbol related to music alone.

The current plan is to use a wolf or a wolf's eye for the icon, as Amarok means Wolf in the Inuit language.

--
yakhan

Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:55 am
If the plan is a wolf, I suggest you overlay a play icon (if it's playing... pause/stop if it's stopped) so that there's some immediate clue as to what the icon does. A "play arrow" icon represents both audio/video and someone who's not familiar with the program might be able to deduce which tray icon is the mediaplayer.
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:32 am
The new one with the progress and the small play really makes it different from Kmix :)
zekant

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:10 am
Here is a preview of a possible icon i quicly made with inkscape, tell me what you think about it :)
It's supposed to represent a wolf's eye by the way ;)
I can make the svg file available, if needed
[img size=150]http://kantzz.free.fr/amarok.png [/img]