This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok not for newbies?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
boris

amarok not for newbies?

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:15 pm
hhm,

i really want to use the "award winning" amarok, but it seems to be to difficult for me as a newbie.
installing it via apt is perfect, no problem, but why is it such a problem to update the downloadable versions?
trying to install normally or the cvs just doesn't seem to work - if you're not to firm with linux!
although amarok 1.0.2 is running on my system with gstreamer-0.8. i just can't install newer versions manually, because gstreamer can't be found. why??

could then someone tell me what i have to put in for

--prefix=`kde-config --prefix`

Please help, because i want to use this excellent programm with all its features!!!!

thanks

boris
name

Re:amarok not for newbies?

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:38 pm
To compile you have to install the development files (libgstreamer0.8-dev for example).

Btw, if you're a newbie, i think you shouldn't compile the program yourself. Just be patient and wait until your distributor's package is updated.
Ernest0x

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:51 pm
name wrote:
Btw, if you're a newbie, i think you shouldn't compile the program yourself. Just be patient and wait until your distributor's package is updated.

Being a newbie does not mean tha you should avoid doing things like compiling etc. Instead, you should try things yourself. Otherwise, you will always be a newbie.
TrickyDick

Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:45 am
I assume you are using debian since you use apt. The debian packages from kalyx is kinda boring compared to the 1.1 beta2 :).
If you are going to compile from source, make sure as name says that you have all the development packages. They usually ends with -dev (somenameofpackage-dev). When you run configure any missing development files should be shown.

--prefix=`kde-config --prefix` , type excactly this! (kde-config is an app. and with the param. --prefix, it tells you where kde is installed. On my debian system this will be equal to type
./configure --prefix=/usr
Max Howell
Alumni

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:57 pm
What he should have said is, do compile amarok, but don't expect the process to be designed for newbies. We can't design it for newbies, it is out of our hands.

Packages are far more newbie friendly.
boris

Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:47 pm
then i'll wait for kalyxo to proceed....