This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

search collection by directory name

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
spoon

search collection by directory name

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:19 am
Hi,

is it possible to search the music collection in amarok by directory name?

I.e. when there is a file

mp3/Depeche Mode/Enjoy the Silence.mp3

and I type "Depeche Mode" into the search field the file is only found
if "Depeche Mode" is somewhere within the ID3-tag or the filename.
amarok doesn't seem to look at the name of the directory.

Is it possible to do this? If not, maybe for the next release? :-)
Max Howell
Alumni
The whole point in the collection is it uses the metadata and not the physical location to sort the media. Justify your request please.
muesli
KDE Developer
as mxcl already explained... you might wanna use the searchbrowser for that *hint* :-)

regards,
muesli
spoon
Hi,

yes, I can use the search browser if I know there's a file that doesn't have ID3 information and I want to play it. My MP3 collection consists of 5000 MP3 files and I don't know for each file if it has ID3 tags or if it doesn't. So by using the collection search function there are some files which will not be displayed although they are there. It would be nice to have an optional feature so that amarok would also look at the directory name *only* if there's no ID3 information available.
muesli
KDE Developer
i would rather suggest, you go and update those files, so that they get proper id3tags / metadata. that's easy with amarok.

really, the collectionbrowser is not about directories and would just slow it down some more.

sorry,
muesli
spoon
ok, I agree that searching all the directory names would use too much resources.
Here's another suggestion: amarok could, when the collection is build, take the ID3-tags, when
they are there, and, when there is no ID3-Tag, add the directory name to the title (or artist, album..)
of the song in the collection. This wouldn't lead to more cpu consumption during the search.