This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Long songs are underrated?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
slashdot

Long songs are underrated?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:25 pm
I've been actively using Amarok for the last days now and have been experiencing something odd when it comes to the automatic rating of songs: Even though I listen to music mixes of about two hour length almost all day, these mixes have a rating of around 40 points all the time. On the other hand, the few albums that I've listened to, now all have songs with a score around 85 points.
I think the score algorithm should be modified so that long songs get extra points for the amount of time played, and not only for "listen to complete track" or the like.
The low score that I'm seeing might also come from the fact that I often stop a mix about a minute before the track finishes or rewind it to somewhere at the beginning while it was playing. Both would be covered by a new "amount of time played" score.

Thanks.
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:Long songs are underrated?

Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:40 pm
Yes, I agree totaly that a measuring of the time is a lot better way to deal with the ranking than numbers of times started. A while ago I heard a sugestion for not ranking the song up if you stopped the song (maybe you did not like it), this sugestion would surely fix that.
eean

but then

Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:47 pm
For users such as myself who normally just listen to whole albums all the way through, then 'my favorite tracks' would just be a bunch of long tracks. That would be kinda of silly. That is, if I understand you right.
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Re:but then

Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:30 am
i think the best combination would be a ratio of the both. or to let user decide their own score.