This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Equalizer idea

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brk3

Equalizer idea

Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:29 am
Hi,
This may be a completely stupid suggestion but just a thought. Would it be possible to take the equalizer code from a project like xmms and use in amarok? The one thing that we may be lacking at the moment is an equalizer but isnt that what open source and the gnu liscence is all about, other open source projects are free to reuse pieces of code in their programs and tailor it etc. Alot of the work may already be done and just needs to be customised by amarok developers.
Does xmms use a completely different sound engine or would this be feasible..
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Re:Equalizer idea

Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:18 am
This is an exellent suggestion , but amarok is using multiple sound engine arts, gstreamer and xine, so it's hard to make an equilizer for each.

xmms is using i think arts, kaffeine has one and his using xine, so only gstreamer left guys ;)
brk3

Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:55 am
An equalizer for one would be better than none! Most of us seem to use gstreamer so I think if any was to be made it should be for that. il probably have lots coming on now saying they prefer a different engine but its my suggestion and i say gstreamer! :P
no really though, i think it would be worth looking into
eean

Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:54 pm
brk3 wrote:
Hi,
This may be a completely stupid suggestion but just a thought. Would it be possible to take the equalizer code from a project like xmms and use in amarok? The one thing that we may be lacking at the moment is an equalizer but isnt that what open source and the gnu liscence is all about, other open source projects are free to reuse pieces of code in their programs and tailor it etc. Alot of the work may already be done and just needs to be customised by amarok developers.
Does xmms use a completely different sound engine or would this be feasible..

Though this is the dream of programming to be able to do stuff like that, XMMS is written in C and has its own ideas about sound, so yea, its code would be completely unusable.

A couple of weeks ago I Googled around for a gstreamer equalizer, but it doesn't exist. I guess if you want an equalizer you have to use artsd.