This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

what about plugins

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Alvaro Moran
Registered Member

what about plugins

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:29 pm
Ok, I know that maybe this does not sounds new but... what about providing a way to develop plugins? I mean, I'm not a developer, but I think that the xmms way (and the Winamp way, if you like) of supporting stuff by developing and letting people to develop plugins is great. What do you think about?

Post edited by: dirac3000, at: 2004/10/30 19:30
Max Howell
Alumni

Re:what about plugins

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:10 pm
We want plugins, and will implement an API soon hopefully.
Alvaro Moran
Registered Member

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:27 pm
Great!I'm sure when this part will be ready the development will be a lot bigger (and maybe easier)...
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:29 am
What kind of plugin would you like to see? Please list some examples, so we can consider what API needs to be crafted.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
lima1

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:54 am
- some normalizing stuff (control volume by loudest moment in mp3, not some percent thing)
- goodnight plugin (turn off pc in x minutes)
gomez

Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:58 am
-A track renamer.

How about looking at the foobar2000 API? It's apparently pretty good, and has numerous useful plugins developed for it.
Alvaro Moran
Registered Member

Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:05 pm
well, I'd like to have the possibility to cutomize the most of the amarok is possible to do. There are really a lot that can be achieved with pulgins!
For instance I'd like to select which audio-server I wold like to use for output (alsa, arts, or whatever), or maybe I would like to redirect my amarok output to an IceCast server, so all the people in the lan can listen to what I'm listening.
Also I like to choose and add plugins for decoding audio formats: for instance I think MAD library is excellent in decoding mp3... I also would like to see amarok to allow my few MPC files.
It would be not to bad also a better interface for audio CDs, that is a plugin for connecting to CDDB servers (like freedb.org).
And what about a plugin that creates a playlist for k3b, for burning audioCDs?

Actually these are a few examples of the features I'd like to see in amarok and I think can be achieved by creating plugins for it. Plugins are great!
Francis Belanger
Registered Member

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:54 pm
yes a better Audio Cd Support would Rock.

like Rip , play copy etc.

and i think would not be a hard plugin if we can access to kio like audiocd:/ adn dcop for calling k3b.
sebr

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:59 pm
Amarok already accesses kio for audio cds, and k3b burning support has already been implemented! (right click on a playlist item!)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:27 pm
dirac3000 wrote:
For instance I'd like to select which audio-server I wold like to use for output (alsa, arts, or whatever)

Umm. Our engines already are plugins, and you can configure the output e.g. in the backends GStreamer and xine.

Also I like to choose and add plugins for decoding audio formats: for instance I think MAD library is excellent in decoding mp3... I also would like to see amarok to allow my few MPC files.

Dude, are we even talking about the same program? With GStreamer every decoder is a plugin. You can for instance install a plugin for MPC support.

Methinks you need more coffee ;)

Post edited by: markey, at: 2004/11/02 15:28

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Jerome
Registered Member

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:18 am
Hi,

My dream is plugins to read file format like .sid, .mod, .snd.... with the appropriate tool. At this time time we can read all these format with arts or gstreamer plugins, but we haven't access to all the options like in sidplay or we can not play .snd files using uade.
Maybe someone will want to make a plugin like this :rolleyes:

3mor3j
Jmiahman

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:49 am
I would like an alarm clock plugin that would make Amarok the PERFECT program for me that's all it's pretty much missing.
Jeremiah Summers
Registered Member
OS

Beta test

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:55 am
If you do an alarm plugin I'd be willing to even beta test it!
Planet Smasher

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:19 pm
What about that Alarm Clock plugin? Has such a thing been made yet? I\'d sure like to use it! Right now, I use WinAmp, on Win2KPro, as my radio alarm clock.

I hope that your alarm plugin will allow the setting of Internet Streaming music, as well as setting a song from a playlist, or from a CD, as sources of music for the alarm. I hope that made sense.

In any case, you don\'t want me running Win2KPro much longer, do you? If I can get that alarm clock plugin, I could start running Linux 24/7.

I\'ve migrated everything I do on computer, except for my awsome PC games, to Linux, but I can\'t run Linux 24/7 cause I gots to set my alarm so as I could get up in the mornin\' for work.

As a matter of fact, as soon as I\'m done typing this, I\'m going to reboot into Win2KPro so that I could set my WinAmp alarm clock and hit the hey.

By the way, I\'ve been listening to streaming Internet radio on AmaroK, and it\'s great! Keep up the good work.
maos
Registered Member

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:44 pm
um... there\'s an alarm script included with amaroK. you need Python and PyQT installed to run the scripts... but check it out under Tools - Scripts: alarm.py

I\'m sure when/if an API comes along it\'ll be dope. until then DCOP and the script integration are good fun.