This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Request: Prelisten Function

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Falko

Request: Prelisten Function

Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:42 am
Hi,

I like this player a lot!

However, one thing I am missing is an option to prelisten to songs on a second sound device (that's a feature that I like about the yammi project -- http://yammi.sourceforge.net/ )

I would really like to see this in AmaroK, cause it is quite useful on parties....
What do you think?
zekant

Re:Request: Prelisten Function

Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:56 am
Maybe you should post this request as an example of possible plugin, because i think this is not a standard user wish :)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:05 pm
Heh, I was thinking of suggesting this myself. amaroK isn't supposed to be a DJ app, but if it had this feature it could be used for folks who occasionally DJ.

Maybe a plugin would be a good idea.

Amarok Developer
Falko

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:28 am
Well,

you are right, there is other DJ Software around and amaroK does not necessarily need all those special features like bpm-calculating, crossfading, etc.

However, I do like that particular feature. Just think of it: You could change your playlist and be sure that the next song is the one you wanted. No more "Oh, no skip that one. It's a different song I wanted". No more tiresome zapping...

Whether it should be implemented as a plugin or not, I am not so sure. That's really up to the guys who do the coding. Whatever is easier for you.

I am happy to read that somebody else considers it useful....
sebr

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:02 am
But wouldn't you know what music was on your playlist?! I mean, why would you download/rip music and not know what it is?!
Falko

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:43 pm
Of course I know what music I got in my collection. But how about the transitions between songs. I don't always remember the beginning of the song I'm about to insert into a playlist. Does it fit or does it cause an abrupt break in the flow?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:43 pm
Um, you're at a party and someone hands you some MP3 CDs with dozens of tracks. This is exactly what happened to me. It would've been nice to be able to preview the music I wasn't familiar with (at least not familiar with the track title).

And anyways, who has their entire collection of music memorized. Well, someone with a small music collection I guess. But those folks can stick to mpg123.

Amarok Developer
imported-bluenova
Registered Member

Re: Request: Prelisten Function

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:26 am
Did anything ever come of this? is there a plugin that exists?
stokedfish

Re: Request: Prelisten Function

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:38 am
Ian Monroe wrote:And anyways, who has their entire collection of music memorized.

1. Get http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=40231
2. Add a little *.txt to each album folder with your personal "review"

That's what I did with *all* of my albums, works like a charm...
...but yeah, then again I only have 200 albums, adding a few each month.

And yes, I think I can say that I know all those albums pretty damn well.

(The same for covers - add covers to your collection if you want to enjoy the cover features of Amarok.
Amazon look-up is nice but for my collection it's a joke as most of my albums are not on Amazon anyway.)

Quality over quantity - the solution to so many self-caused problems asked on this forum!  ;)

Last edited by stokedfish on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.