This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature request: option to disable gradient

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
krj
From the first idea of \'gradient i-candy\' in amarok context window I have to edit the sources to remove this \"feature\". In my opinion gradinet is useless, plain color in context window looks great. What about some option to disable it? Before that gradient stuff I had loved amarok for its style and cleannes and I want to keep that look. :)
felipe
i second that, gradients are too heavy looking IMO.

krj, could you explain me how to disable the gradient? a little diff would be great :D
Max Howell
Alumni
Look rather than begging for configurability lets work together to improve the gradients. If you could post screenshots of the gradient we can discuss how it can be improved.

Making things optional is never the right development decision. It comes back and bites you in the **** in the long run.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
mxcl wrote:
Look rather than begging for configurability lets work together to improve the gradients. If you could post screenshots of the gradient we can discuss how it can be improved.

Making things optional is never the right development decision. It comes back and bites you in the **** in the long run.
I\'m really glad amaroK has this philosophy. We have the advantage at looking at the beast called KControl I suppose.

Amarok Developer
Max Howell
Alumni
When I said never, I should have said often. Sometimes it is clearly the right step to make it optional. When it comes to things like aesthetics though, you need to please 90% of people and not add configuration that is going to make development suffer in the future in order to maintain it. The context browser is an actively developed component. Debatably the most important component in amaroK. We want to make it as good as possible for 90% of users, but to keep it sane so we can continue to develop it in the future, it is important to limit the amount of configurability like this.

Too many options _do_ hinder future improvements.

So bring on the screenshots and let\'s discuss how we can improve it! Many thanks.

Max
bob
i must say, that the colour scheme is getting worse! the new colouring of the albums in the context-browser is really annoying. with my colourscheme, that i use it turns pink! and there is no chance of contolling the colour, because it\'s not defined. if i change the foreground or background colour, the colouring of the albums changes uncontrolled.

amarok really rokks, but less is sometimes more!
bob
...looks like this:

[img]http://www.rokkford.de/Bildschirmphoto1.png[/img]
brk3
the gradient is fine i think.. looks much better than it used to. But why on earth does it turn grey when on amaroks default color scheme?! it looks awful - this is forcing me to use the default theme.. first time i saw it i thought it was mistake.

If the developers dont want to add an option to turn it on or off could someone just make an unofficial patch to disable it?? then it wouldnt be an offical part of the realease but we could still have the choice :)
zekant
Here we go :

[img size=499]http://kantzz.free.fr/blank.png[/img]

I\'m using lipstik with the \"dark blue\" KDE color theme.
This problem arises everytime i choose white for the fonts color.

I really hope this will be fixed ...

anyway, thanks for your work
krj
I am trying to imagine a good looking gradient in the context window all the time but longer I think I am more convinced that simply plain color is the best solution. In my opinion that part of amarok looks just great and does not need to be changed. Sorry, I am some kind of a plainness fanatic. ;-) Thanks for response. :-) Good clean style of GUI is top amarok feature. Why change anything?

Anyway with or without gradient, amarok is the best player. :-)

Reply to felipe\'s request:
To remove gradient from 1.2beta1 you have to compile amarok from source with modified /path_to_source/amarok/src/contextbrowser.cpp file. My .diff file is here. Copy that file to amarok source dir (/path_to_source/) execute command: cat contextbrowser.diff | patch -p1 and compile.
Keep in mind that I am not a QT programmer and this is some kind of a hot fix. Works for me(tm). :-)
bob
..and this is what happens, changing to my kde colour-scheme. i don\'t have any yellow in it....
;)

[img]http://www.rokkford.de/Bildschirmphoto2.png[/img]
Max Howell
Alumni
Thanks for the screenies, they all show exactly where are code for the gradients is going wrong. We\'ll fix it asap.

You\'ll like it when it works right. Honest.

Max