This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

README: Feature Requests

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Max Howell
Alumni

README: Feature Requests

Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:50 am
Features make software fun!

amaroK is really open to feature requests. The following links help to explain how software development and feature additions work in general, and might help you when you make your requests.

http://ometer.com/features.html
http://www.steelgryphon.com/blog/index.php?p=26

People tend to say \"make it an option a lot\".

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2004/11/features-drugs_23.html

Basically it isn\'t always that easy to make something optional. It\'s much easier to maintain a codebase that only does one thing. And due to the rate that amaroK improves, it is necessary for us to try and keep a reasonable linear path in the code so that we can keep the development fast.

Post edited by: mxcl, at: 2005/01/30 19:40
brk3

Re:README: Feature Requests

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:20 pm
ok ive got a feature request - and its so damn simple theres no way you could have a problem including it! Its not really even a feature, just a small touch.
When you add a \'random\' button to the toolbar it doesnt get a logo, it just gets the default \'new page\' kind of icon that kde gives to buttons that dont have an icon. Small thing I know but all these things add to the overall polished feel that we\'re looking for. Even just a simple arrow curling round or something to show that that button is to select random play mode.
In the long run id love to see a set of icons customised for amarok, would really set it off. But maybe this doesnt fit in with the whole kde thing. Would be cool though.. :)
Max Howell
Alumni

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:50 am
We\'ve known about this since we made Random, etc. KActions. We can add icons to these as soon as someone draws us some.

Please post feature requests under their own threads!!

Post edited by: mxcl, at: 2004/11/29 05:51
Bane DJ

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:30 pm
I like to see feature that AmaroK can read picture and lyrics directly from tag (like jetAudio on Windows). I think that this would be much easier than when I want to see lyrics I have to go online. Is it possibille? Best regards....
ilyak

Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:13 am
Hi everyone!
At last i was able to partially resolve my ID3v2 problems and to try amaroK extensively.

First impression: it IS comfortable. Really, these was not lies :)

So, i have got a few feature requests:

1) I have a lot of artisis banded together at Zilatnkon show. So \'Album\' is, say, \'Zilantkon-98\', and \'artist\' is different for each track. This is shown in Collections as:
Various artists
+ Zilantkon-98
+ Song 1
+ Song 2
+ Song 3
+ Song 4

This would be cool, if it will also list this album in specific artist\'s collection as, say:
Tem
+ Zilantkon-98
+ Song 2
+ Song 4
(So, you see, i can queue all her songs with single-click, and will not lose any nor will get someone else).

2) For these \'Various artists\' albums, shown in \'All albums of artist \' on \'statistics\' vtab, it would be easier if only songs of this artist got displayed/they would be displayed before others/bold or elsehow marked.
\'Cause these zilants are 200-300 songs long and it is not quite a fun to search for specific songs.

3) If 2 songs for same Artist have same Title (Should be case- and punctuation-insensetive search), they should be treated one for \'Favourite songs for artist \'. It is no fun to see 3 of 5 favourite songs are same, from different albums.

4) If there are 2 files with same name/size/md5, don\'t bother listing them both. List one.

5) It would be sweet if it will be possible to edit metadata for all album/artist, not single tracks only.
To be able to change artist name (mis-spellings vs mp3 downloadtrashes come to mind), year or album for albums.
Gray out fields that vary and can not be changed.

Don\'t bother if these tiny features would cause much code bloat.
On other hand, i beleive 1) is worth implementing and only requires tuning one place.

Thanx for support.
Ilyak

Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:26 am
Oops... Sorry, has not noitced \'hierachery\' button. 1) is no more, great!..
Irv

Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:52 pm
how did you fix amarok and id3v2 ?
Ilyak

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:44 am
I applied patch i received from ggcand at aaanet dot ru.
It made amaroK look ID3v1 tags first, and they do have encoding setup in preferences.

I can send this patch to you, mail ilyak at online dot ru
No idea how it would work with beta3...

Of course, now Feature Request (more for taglib that for amaroK):
Make ID3v2 encoding selectable! Or else, fix them somehow!

Non-US people will surely appreciate it.
hds

2 small feature requests

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:19 am
a) a weblink button. if i right-click a track, the context menu could contain \"visit fanpage\" or something like that? URL should be stored in the mysql database as a reference to the artist.

b) same with the lyrics. maybe someone likes to store his lyrics locally, so it could be possible to add a link to a textfile stored locally?
visitor

lyrics offline

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:16 am
I want see the lyrics offline!
muesli
KDE Developer

Re:lyrics offline

Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:31 am
PLEASE STOP AND READ FIRST!

as mxcl mentioned, this is _NOT_ the place to file feature requests. create a seperate topic for each issue / feature.

thanks.
muesli
ShockMe

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:52 pm
Great application. Made me finally catch the train from M$ to Linux. The only thing holding me back was iTunes, but now (especially catalyzed with the lyrics feature) I would not want to miss amarok.

I have a feature request. I saw, that the play count for a song goes up if you only start the song. Often, I just play a couple of seconds to hear that the song is ****. With the play count incrementing it stays in the list of most heard songs, which gets me frustrated after a while.

Is it possible to increment the play count maybe after, lets say, 30 seconds of play of a song?
ShockMe

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:56 pm
Sorry, did not RTFM. disregard
Lomaxx

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:13 am
How about 7zip (or p7zip support as it\'s called for linux)? Is there a chance to support that archive-format? It\'s quite promising and thus could be used to pack mods.

Or do i have a totally wrong understanding of how amarok works? =)

Sorry if so.
Lomaxx

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:27 am
ack, \"same lame\" goes for me =( sorry