This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Track ratings.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mortiferus
Registered Member

Track ratings.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:21 am
First I must thank for a great app, it is one of my most used apps (besides firefox).
I was wondering about the track ratings, and if there is anny plans to change it a bit. It dont always work perfect. I dont have any concrete sugestions (thats why I dont post a whist), I was more just wondering if that is something you are thinking about improving, and maybe what ideas you have.
brk3

Re:Track ratings.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:04 am
It doesnt seem to be registering my stats right/at all in 1.2cvs. every track is \'never played before\' even when ive played that track loads of times. any idea why this might be..?
muesli
KDE Developer

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:22 am
close amarok, edit your amarokrc, decrease the value of \"Database Stats Version\" to 2. restart amarok, now.

regards,
muesli
zekant

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:09 am
In my opinion, the way amarok works for the automatic rating does not fit with the way i\'m used to listen to my music. Here\'s why :

I\'ve got a huge list of songs, and very often i just put all my songs in the playlist and play in random mode. So, the percentage shown by amarok doesn\'t tell me anything, because all songs are aproximately played as often. Sometimes the tune i\'m listening to reminds me of another artist/album, so i filter the playlist and continue on random mode, then i delete the filter field and go on.

What i would like to do is to rate my songs manually, say, from 1 to 5 (stars for \"example\").
I think the percentage thing is not very clear (percentage of what ?), so why don\'t just tell how many times the tune was played, and set an average score of 3, possibly changeable by the user ? At least plese let the user modifiy the percentage :). Because presently the only way to make the percentage higher, is to play the track again, and i don\'t want to !

Score editing could be done both in the playlist view (if the column is shown) or in the context. Instead of having a percentage jauge, it could be a five step jauge.

What do you think ?

And, again and again, THANKS for your wonderfull work, it\'s been a while i haven\'t seen such a reactive and positive development team, amarok is much and much amazing !
brk3

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:19 pm
Ya this group is great! Perfect example of how open source development works so well. Thanks for the tip on fixing my stats, il try it when i get home :)

As for zekant was saying I agree, i nearly always use the random mode so the ratings dont mean much for me.
What we suggested ages ago sounds like a really good idea - only register the song for favorates if its been playing for example 5 seconds or more. this way when you flick past a song to next track it wont register that you\'ve actually played it. A much more accurate way of registering favorates it think..
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Currently if you flick past a song it will get a low rating. Whats the advantage of the scoring system ignoring the songs?

Amarok Developer
brk3

Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:52 am
wasnt aware that it did this. good stuff :)
Max Howell
Alumni

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:33 am
The system works fine for zekant imo. The very fact that you put the songs in the playlist means that you like them, and thus their rating will improve.

You can edit the score.

5-star esque display (although percentages internally) is being considered

percentage of what? percentages are the same as star-ratings, they are both proportional to a maximum. Silly thing to say.
muesli
KDE Developer

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:24 am
thnx mxcl, i just wanted to reply the very same thing :-)

regards,
muesli
zekant

Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:45 am
Yep, manual rating is cool, but at the moment is possible only if you show the score column in the playlist.
I guess the percentage thing is the ratio
times the song was played / times the favorite song was played

I have 5000 song in my playlist (always the same), the way i \"create\" a playlist is always by filtering (i guess maybe because of the playlist loading speed issues). So basicely i dont put songs in the playlist because i like them, but because i dont know what to listen first :)

A cool thing would be to modify the score by draging or clicking on a progress bar (star on not star like), would be more convenient for rating (a keyboard shortcut would be cool too).