This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

DJ streaming support _to_ shoutcast/icecast server

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Chris403
First of all, great job, you\'ve done. ;-) I love amarok.

I know that the feature I\'m missing has already been mentioned once in the forum and by me in the irc channel, but i still want to remind you, that I badly need DJ streaming support to shoutcast servers.

i think it\'s not that hard to implement it, since you just need to use lame//oggenc to reencode and send the output to the radio.

Furthermore you can check the icecast // ices2 source...

The Problem is that there _is no_ usable streaming Client for Linux...

All existing ones just stream a playlist file (not really interactive..) or the whole input of your soundcard (including Systemsounds etc... = unusable).

I am searching for an application that fits my needs in this case for several months now and i didnt find anything that is ok.

XMMS-Liveice would be exactly what i need, but it seems to be broken for ~2 years now and since i prefer amaroK to XMMS (there are worlds between these 2 ;-) ), i\'d really like to see streaming support in amaroK.

Something that\'s equal to the Winamp Shoutcast DSP Plugin...

Legal issues about what is streamed to the radio stations is not your problem i think, the creators of file sharing tools like aMule are not taken to court either...or the developers of winamp or icecast...(the last thread stopped when markey asked about this i think).

Please implement this feature as soon as possible, i really really miss it and it would be another unique advantage of amaroK, making it something special.

Thanks,
Chris
Erik
That would simply make amaroK ROCK!!! I really want this feature, please implement it! :)
Zit
I currently use a windows workstation to stream using winamp/shoutcast DSP. If amarok devs implemented this (or someone else simply make a front end plugin using libshout2/gst-plugins-shout) I\'d be one happy camper.

Amarok is simply the best player. without a doubt.
mortiferus
Registered Member
I have other request about a prelisten feature, to listen to parts of songs and output it to another audiocard. Streaming to internett could be implanted as just another engine, and then one could chose to use it as primary output. And then the prelisten feature would play to your soundcard.
qfh
For XMMS, you could also use the oddcast \"effects\"-Plugin. oddcastv2 works fine here...
guuuest
this is the reason why I cannot switch yet...sigh...

will you ever include this? amaroK would be THE tool for webradio and beat the **** out of all others...

streaming with amaroK...like a dream......
tom
How about an official statement from the devs?

Will this ever be done or do we have to stick to buggy oddcast or jacky djplay for streaming?

I\'d appreciate an answer! :)
barmaley
two days ago i\'ve looked for some linux streaming icecast/shoutcast software. All of it is not usable and buggy :(
I think it will be great if amaroK will include this functionality.
BTW what windows streaming software you people are using? (except winamp with shoutcast DSP plugin)
celli
windows: http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sam2/

(not open-source though and costly)

linux: http://djplay.sourceforge.net/

it\'s not that bad but nothing compared to amarok imho...and relies on jack...

an additional tab and settings for streaming would be great because icecast, oddcast, djplay, muse and darkice are all either buggy or not very usable or both...amarok has the best UI of an audioplayer I have ever seen and some features that would be awesome for streaming...so this combination would be perfect and put an end to the awful situation for streaming with linux. shoutcast/icecast and mic support in an additional tab could be a solution to this dillemma...and then one coudl gradually add features like buttons for creating a html playlist (to publish it after the radio show in typo3 or on a webpage or something, I see there\'s a script already!) html output modules for real-time information, listener statistics, multiple playlists (tabbed playlist window), advanced playlists (what song is played at what time and such...) etc. whatever is useful for icecast streaming and possible to add to amarok without destroying it\'s wonderful UI approach...

as it looks I\'m not the only one who would love to use amarok for webradioing!

however, I love it anyway...thanks for all the great work...lots appreciated!! :cheer:
tillo
I need this feature, like ppl said _all_ linux free (as beer) sound broadcasting software is broken or useless in many ways. I can easly avoid using closed software, my only desire is to cut off winamp too. Please do it ASAP, it\'s prioritary :ermm:

anyway, amaroK is the best player I ever seen, I hope and pray (and pay) that this software will grow, with or without sound broadcasting :laugh:
Adrian
tom
No statement from a dev? Sigh...

Please someone let us know what you devs think about this...thanks! :unsure:
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Good news, everyone!

We\'ve now got a shoutcast streaming server available, implemented as an amaroK Script. James Bellenger has hacked this very cool extension. It\'s still in its early stages, but I expect it to mature quickly.

Check it out: amaroK Shouter

Have fun :)

Post edited by: markey, at: 2005/03/24 12:29

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
fantastic , terrific, simply unbelievable

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
ertij
That\'s great.

Could anyone explain how does it work?

I mean, it seems to use shoutcast (it would be even nicer if it used icecast). Do I need a shoutcast server running, or a shoutcast library or something?

And, what formats does it support? Does it do any encoding before streaming?

Thanks.