This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Disable OSD gradient? (1.2b1)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yakhan

Disable OSD gradient? (1.2b1)

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:10 am
I hate to be whiney or anything, but can we have an option to disable the gradient in the OSD? Or at least let us choose both the gradient colors? It decreases readblity, at least for me.
muesli
KDE Developer

Re:Disable OSD gradient? (1.2b1)

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:40 am
well, i\'m not for adding another option. but we should think about removing the osd gradient at all. we\'re kind of \"over-gradienting\" lately ;-)

it doesn\'t work too well with lots of color schemes, anyways.
opinions?

regards,
muesli
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:39 am
I like the gradient. IMHO it looks less boring than plain unicolor background. Of course there might be even cooler ways to make it look funky; perhaps a texture. But the gradient is a good start.

I think we should rather work on improving the colorisation algo, and especially the default text color, as it has too little contrast.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
jpipkin
Registered Member

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:19 am
True... it took me a little while to figure out how to work with the gradient to colors get it do something readable (I never did work out getting it to do exactly what I wanted it to :), which of course I\'m not complaining about (I\'d have done so already), but for the sake of it, it can indeed be time-consuming.

In the end, setting both colors to black and removing the shadow made it work very nicely with black text and a silver gradient... if anyone\'s having difficulty with it.
Max Howell
Alumni

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:25 pm
The gradient is too much really. We can do something much better. I too prefer it how it was.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 pm
mxcl wrote:
We can do something much better.

You mean we can come up with better iCandy than a gradient for the OSD, or do you mean better in the sense of just removing it?

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:31 pm
I like the gradient in the OSD very much, I think it\'s iCandy and a nice feature.
Probably there could also be a switch to disable it (as already discussed for the context browser background).

Indeed it\'s quite hard to get a gradient in the color you want, so here\'s the place to improve the usability.

Marcel
Chris403

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:10 pm
ACK

I absolutely agree with Marcel ;)
sebr

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:13 am
maybe a poll is needed?

and sorry i am not home to work on it... but soon enough
Max Howell
Alumni

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:19 pm
I mean we can make better candy. The gradient looks very bad with some themes because it is overpowering. Also pyramid gradients are so eighties man ;-)
anon

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:58 am
OSD impossible to read here using the standard colors. I am sure you could improve the gradient algorithm, but why not just remove the gradient alltogether. I am fine with a gradient in the collection browser: I don\'t like it, but it does not cause any problems because text is in plain white box, but laying text over a gradient as in the OSD is not a good idea IMO.
Jesse
Registered Member

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:36 am
While using amarok 1.1 a few days ago, I actually remarked to my friend at how I loved the look of the OSD (and I\'ve always disliked the way most OSDs look).
I think that the gradient on 1.2 looks kinda gimmicky, where the plain colour in 1.1 was very stylish in its plainness.

A reasonable solution to this problem I think is to add another colour bar to the OSD (custom) colour section, that lets you choose the other gradient colour. If you don\'t like the gradient, set the colours to be equal. This way both crowds are pleased, and only a (IMHO) small, maintainable option is added. I even made a little screenshot :).
Jesse
Registered Member

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:37 am
While using amarok 1.1 a few days ago, I actually remarked to my friend at how I loved the look of the OSD (and I\'ve always disliked the way most OSDs look).
I think that the gradient on 1.2 looks kinda gimmicky, where the plain colour in 1.1 was very stylish in its plainness.

A reasonable solution to this problem I think is to add another colour bar to the OSD (custom) colour section, that lets you choose the other gradient colour. If you don\'t like the gradient, set the colours to be equal. This way both crowds are pleased, and only a (IMHO) small, maintainable option is added. I even made a little screenshot :).

Edit: Apologies for the multiple posts, some weird server error while submitting the file, so its now at:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/sengoku/amarokgrad.jpg

Post edited by: Sengoku, at: 2004/12/29 01:41
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:15 pm
Yeah that would be good. Acually, I\'ve almost done that: I\'ve set the colour to grey, and now it\'s plain (white).

Post edited by: Mogger, at: 2004/12/30 03:39

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Pini Hadad

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:06 pm
I\'d like to add my vote to having an option to disable the osd gradient. Does anyone know if there\'s a bug filed on this (some quick searching didn\'t find one) or if it\'s been discussed by the devs?