This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggestions / Feature requests

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Locarius

Suggestions / Feature requests

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm
I am impressed with many of the features, and I think amarok is likely the most powerful player out there right now. I have a few suggestions, however.

-add support for mpd engine. Music Player Daemon is a great back-end that claims to support TRUE gapless playback. The crossfade function doesnt cut it for me with albums like Dark Side of the Moon

-I had some other suggestions but they seemed to have been covered in the beta releases. (im using 1.1.1)

Great work amarok team. I was really considering starting to make a frontent for MPD that suited my tastes but it would have took a bunch of learning along the way. Im glad I bumped into this project. Now Im off to put Amarok on the apartment media center box. :D
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Suggestions / Feature requests

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:59 pm
I\'ve looked at it too, and downloaded their C library for controlling the daemon (libmpdclient).

First impressions were not all that hot. There are no API docs at all, you have to stare at the header to figure everything out. On first glance the API also looked a bit weird.

Perhaps when I\'m bored I\'ll start a mpd-engine, but I don\'t think I\'ll have much motivation to maintain it, as I don\'t use mpd myself.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:01 pm
Something is **** with the dates on this server. My last post appears older than eean\'s, and eean posts from the future.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
povman

Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:30 am
yes please! i hate logging out and suddenly losing my music :(
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:48 pm
That\'s because I\'m from the future. (I\'m also on UTC -6... obviously that wouldn\'t make any sense as being the reason though).

Amarok Developer
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:20 pm
I looked at mpd, it wouldn\'t be a simple task to make it another engine for amaroK (along with gstreamer and xine and the rest) since mpd requires control of the entire playlist, currently the sound engines are pretty much only made aware of the currently playing song I think.

I agree it would be a nice feature though.

Post edited by: eean, at: 2005/01/01 11:21

Amarok Developer
exhuma.twn

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:23 am
I would loooove to see this aswell ;)
stokedfish

Re: Suggestions / Feature requests

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:49 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:I\'ve looked at it too, and downloaded their C library for controlling the daemon (libmpdclient).

First impressions were not all that hot. There are no API docs at all, you have to stare at the header to figure everything out. On first glance the API also looked a bit weird.

Perhaps when I\'m bored I\'ll start a mpd-engine, but I don\'t think I\'ll have much motivation to maintain it, as I don\'t use mpd myself.

Has this changed by any chance?

I'd love to use a combination of MPD and Amarok...