This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

1.2 beta 2 looks great -- crashes all the time

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
amdi8
This is really frustrating. Amarok is hands down the mp3 player with most potential out there.

At the same time, it\'s the most buggy piece of software I have ever seen. 1.02 was crashing frequently for me. I upgraded to 1.2 beta 2 hoping for stability improvements, but I\'m going to have to revert. I can\'t add even a couple of directories of mp3s to my collection without it crashing right away.

Very frustrating. If it didn\'t have so much potential, I would have given up a long time ago.

I\'ll wait for version 2.0.
Hans
Administrator
OS
That\'s strange... 1.2 b2 has never crashed for my (well, upgrade yesterday...).
Exactly why does amaroK crash? It\'s beta, and we are kind of betatesters - if you don\'t want to use beta, try 1.1.1. Or help clean the bugs out.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
muesli
KDE Developer
i\'d bet it\'s your taglib version and not amarok. update your taglib (best from cvs - kdesupport/taglib) and most prolly your problems are gone.

have fun,
muesli
amdi8
I have taglib 1.3.1, so that shouldn\'t be a problem.

If I were to make a guess, I\'d say that Amarok is choking in the m3u playlists I have. I know the previous version I used crashed on them 80% of the time. The couple of playlists that I have that are in the same directory as the mp3s, all worked fine. It was the ones that specified a full path or a relative path for the mp3s that it had trouble with.

Amarok 1.2 b2 mostly crashed all the time. When double-clicking on a playlist, when adding files to the collection, and also just during playback by itself.

This might be in the FAQ, but do you guys have any idea when you might release 1.2? I\'d like to give it another try then.
Thanks.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Although we can\'t say this for sure, if the app shows extremely crashy behavior, as in your case, this would hint that the problem is not within amaroK itself. Of course beta2 has bugs, but the crashes you describe don\'t sound normal.

Did you compile some libraries and applications on your box with different GCC versions? This would be one common reason for random crashes.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
jurrie
I also experienced crashes when changing tags with a large number of files.

Taglib 1.3.1, gentoo x86_64, gcc 3.4.3
MyKillK
I am also experiencing numerous crashes, especially when modifying tag information on large (30+) numbers of files at once.

I\'m using taglib 1.3.1, and Gentoo so everything is compiled the same.
Francis Belanger
Registered Member
me to i\'m experiencing numerous crash , usually when i play with the playlist with a large number of files like 100 and +

and i\'m also using libtag 1.3.1 on debian unstable (mepis)

Post edited by: inkubus, at: 2004/12/16 02:38
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS
Well, same here. I have crashes when some mp3\'s are loaded (this is reproducable), a shorten file is opened or when I manually try to add a Monkey Audio file (by drag and drop, not via playlist)

I\'m using taglib 1.3.1, Amarok 1.2 beta 2 and SuSE 9.1 *duck* :)
amdi8
By the way, I\'m using the Amarok 1.2 b2 from the Mandrake Cooker under Mandrake 10.1 Official (KDE 3.2.3 and kernel 2.6.8).