This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Normalizer

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Feature Request: Normalizer

Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:00 pm
While we have now crossfading, the next good thing to have would be a normalizer. What do you think?
Philipp

Re:Feature Request: Normalizer

Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:17 pm
Normalize would be a great feature!!
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:00 am
Full ACK.

Would be great Image

Perhaps it would be possible to implement more than one normalizing method? (Cut everything at a certain level; Calculate average volume; ...)
nabla

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:25 pm
Fully ACK. Using ReplayGain (tags) would be great!
Gherkin

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:10 am
ACK

Replaygain is a must-have for Amarok ;) I enjoyed it in foobar2000 when I was on my windows machine. Very cool.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:40 pm
I\'ve looked at replaygain.org, and I think it looks quite interesting. We may try to implement support for it in 1.3.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Schlorz

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:06 pm
markey wrote:
I\'ve looked at replaygain.org, and I think it looks quite interesting. We may try to implement support for it in 1.3.

Dufte!

The advantage of replaygain over normalize is that the dynamics of the song is obtained.
pfr

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:06 am
That\'s great to hear!

Replaygain is more than just a simple normalizer, as it calculates the percieved volume and adjusts volume according to that. Peak normalizing just normalizes the peaks: the difference of percieved volume between two songs can still be substantial. And replaygain is stored only in tags: no need to re-encode or use additional processing power trying to normalize on the fly every time a song is played or something like that.
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:16 pm
That\'s good, I do not like \"normal\" normalizer due to some of them tend to mess up songs. Especially when the song has silent parts and loud parts and the normalizer makes them sound in the same volume...
Shuttle Pilot

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 pm
There seems to be no normalizer in the V 1.3.

Is there still work in progress or is development on a normalizer canceled?
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:11 pm
This is the plan:
Wiki: Replay Gain

Post edited by: marcel, at: 2005/08/16 15:12
toso

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:06 pm
Unfortunately, the link above seems broken, I think this one is the intended one:

http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index. ... it_Take%3F

Although my english capabilities are limited, I think this link still isn\'t the correct answer to the question, because it doesn\'t say anything about if or when this feature will be available...
As I really *need* this feature... Are there still plans towards such a feature in amaroK ? Is there a way I can motivate the developers to implement this soon ? I don\'t have the programming knowledge needed, otherwise there wouldn\'t be a question....
toso

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:09 pm
Oh by the way, I\'ve tried to register some time ago, didn\'t get a login Mail, tried to generate a new password today, got a Mail with the new password but now I get the info that my login is blocked, can somebody tell me why ??
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:59 pm
If you read through that Wiki page (yes, it moved since I had posted that link) you will find the section \"What\'s needed\" which tells you that extern libs need an update to give amaroK the ability to use ReplayGain. As I have no insight into this feature I assume the requirements on the Wiki page are correct and still open.