This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video support in Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ZiP

Video support in Amarok

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:03 am
Hi, i would like to know if video support will be added to amarok. When I was on Windows, I liked to be able to add video clips to my playlist in winamp. Would it be possible to add it using the xine engine ? I know it\'s available using NMM, but i would like to use Xine for playing video..
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:Video support in Amarok

Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:34 am
Yes it would we possible.
The question is if it is realy what we want. Linux has at least 2 capable videoplayers, both with a large scale of frontends. Do we want our favorit developers to use their time to create something witch is ok to many jobs, or to create something witch does one thing realy well?
I vote to keep amaroK a music player, and not a media player.
muesli
KDE Developer

Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:14 pm
video support will be added some time in the future. it actually even works with nmm already. anways: amarok will stay a pure music player, which happens to open a video-output window if a video file was selected. but that\'s pretty much it.

have fun,
muesli
Ismael

Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:36 am
video support will be added some time in the future. it actually even works with nmm already.
anways: amarok will stay a pure music player, which happens to open a video-output window if a video
file was selected. but that\'s pretty much it.

Sounds great. 8)
mbx

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:10 pm
Yes, that sounds good.

Please, please, please... Don\'t make amarok a music player, and a video player, and an editor and a 3D shooter.. you get the picture. That happens to too many good apps. :)
Booger

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:54 am
Yes, keep amarok audio only. mplayer plays my video.... amarok plays my audio.... hat sounds great to me.
deadowl
Registered Member

Re: Video support in Amarok

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:45 am
Three real reasons Amarok should support video:
1. Video Podcasts
2. Music Videos
3. iPod support of videos

And then, if you support videos, it makes sense to support all video media anyway.

It really could be integrated well. Video is, after all, just a visual component to audio. I don't think supporting video would radically change Amarok's structure.

Is this the most dead topic or what?
NobbeWan
Registered Member

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:39 am
I agree with the last post.  This topic seems to be quite taboo.  While I am sure that it has come up over the course of Amarok's existence, are there any really compelling arguments against it?  Come on, how could adding what deadowl so poignantly states as "just a visual component of audio" be detrimental?  I'd like to have the cataloging power of Amarok at my disposal with my video media as well.  It's about choices, it is a NICE thing to have several options available, that allows more people to be accommodated.  Offering video as an extension further makes it acceptable, then the people who want an audio only application have it.  Couldn't it potentially be offered as another package?  I don't know how this would work into the design of Amarok, or if it is feasible in that aspect, but it is time for a major revision (2.0) so perhaps its good to have these discussions.  Another thing, I'd like to see some real conversation going about this topic... I don't care if you come in here and blast me.  Sway me, if you feel so disposed.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:51 am
muesli wrote:video support will be added some time in the future. it actually even works with nmm already. anways: amarok will stay a pure music player, which happens to open a video-output window if a video file was selected. but that\'s pretty much it.

have fun,
muesli

I think this solution is good. A more "integrated" video output would be nice, the same goes for visualizations; maybe a topic for Amarok 2.0?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
deadowl
Registered Member

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:47 am
http://lunapark6.com/?p=3032

LP6 : I think there were discussions in the past about having Amarok play videos. Curious to what your thoughts are on that ability?

Mark: I think that Amarok2 might be able to do basic video playback, e.g. for playing music videos. We will not however turn Amarok into a full blown video/audio player, with DVD playback and whatnot. This would water down our GUI. Our focus stays at providing a good music player.
---------------

I'm still not getting this argument. Attached a comparison of MPlayer controls to Amarok controls. I made the forefront ones that MPlayer has that Amarok doesn't the color black (fforward, rewind, eject). All of which most CD players have. I don't understand how basic DVD/Video support would water down a GUI. Would anyone care to explain?
deadowl
Registered Member

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:42 pm
Well, then again, the biggest reason I would want Amarok to play videos is because it would be the most convenient app to play video podcasts in.
cyrus007
Registered Member

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:35 pm
I don't think VIDEO PODCASTS lie in Music Player's domain. The current video players like VLC and Kaffine should be upgraded to handle video podcasts/feeds. Amarok should stay as an audio player (where one can even enjoy the music with their eyes closed). Audio Podcasts - yes, Video Podcasts - no.

My two cents.
-cyrus007
deadowl
Registered Member

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:38 pm
cyrus007 wrote:I don't think VIDEO PODCASTS lie in Music Player's domain. The current video players like VLC and Kaffine should be upgraded to handle video podcasts/feeds. Amarok should stay as an audio player (where one can even enjoy the music with their eyes closed). Audio Podcasts - yes, Video Podcasts - no.

My two cents.
-cyrus007

First, you still don't explain to me why the separation exists.
WHY THE SEPARATION? Don't tell me watered-down GUIs, explain to me how they would be watered down. Don't mind referring yourself to my counter example in an above post.

Second, I will NOT use a program for podcasts if it does not handle both types of podcasts. They aren't called audiocasts and videocasts; they're called podcasts, meaning that they're generally unified in terms of how a program handles them. If I have set up Amarok to handle podcasts in general, and I want to watch a video podcast, I can't. It's extremely ironic that I can listen to the AUDIO OF A VIDEO podcast, but just can't watch the video portion of it. Therefore, without support for video podcasts, then why the hell does Amarok support audio podcasts? I'm not going to use it for that purpose, it would just be more work than I'd want to put up with every time I wanted to subscribe to a video podcast, and if I wanted to subscribe to a specific audio podcast with something else handling video podcasts, that would also be more work. I would need an application that handles both types.

Last edited by deadowl on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
danni
Registered Member

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:24 am
I think that video playback makes sense to be considered a visualisation as far as amarok is concerned
deadowl
Registered Member

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 pm
I'm still wondering if someone could tell me why having video playback in Amarok would water down the GUI.