This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gstreamer engine configuration

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mark Falls
Registered Member

Gstreamer engine configuration

Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:44 pm
Greetings,

I am having some problems selecting the Gstreamer engine for my amaroK system. I downloaded all three parts (gstreamer-0.8.7, gst-plugins-0.8.6 & gst-ffmpeg-0.8.2). and in that same order I opened in shell (I have Slackware 10) followed the read me for each file. Each compiled correctly I think, but when I go to the setup and attempt to select the Gstreamer engine, I get this:

[code:1]
GStreamer is missing a registry.
Please make sure that you have installed all necessary GStreamer plugins
(e.g. OGG and MP3), and run \'gst-register\' afterwards.
For further assistance consult the GStreamer manual,
and join #gstreamer on irc.freenode.net.
[/code:1]

then

[code:1]
The new engine could not be loaded.
[/code:1]

Then the engine reverts back to Xine Engine.

Now of course this will work, but a buddy of mine gave me the site and told me that Gstreamer Engine really is the best.

Does anyone have a clue as to where I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Mark
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Re:Gstreamer engine configuration

Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:49 am
As the text says, did you run gst-register ? This must be done by the user who starts amarok, because the registry file is saved in the user\'s home directory.

Second idea would be to remove ffmpeg and make sure that you have compiled the mad module. (I had your problem yesterday - this solved it, as far as i can see)

Btw: gstreamer 0.8.8 is out :)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:52 pm
Heh, well, I can\'t tell any difference in sound quality between the engines in amaroK. I do remember sound being kind of funky in XMMS, what with its ghetto volume control and what not.

The sound card you use might have something to do with it.

Amarok Developer
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:12 pm
I\'m not your buddy, but I say xine is the best.

Amarok Developer
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:20 pm
Not in my opinion. I have several files which sound quite ugly (comparable to the sound you get when you turn the volume just a little bit over the value the speakers can handle) with other engines than gstreamer (mostly high-quality ones) - that was also the reason why i switched from xmms to amarok. Imho, the xmms engine is somewhere between arts and gstreamer.
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:23 am
eean wrote:
The sound card you use might have something to do with it.

It\'s a laptop in-built Asus ac97 card - I think it does the job quite well.
Don\'t know if there are known problems with certain sound engines for this card, though.
Mark Falls
Registered Member

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:44 am
ok, that sounds pretty easy. And generally easy means not simple to me. If I delete the file from the directory that should solve my problem?

Should I go and download the newest version of the two sections (gstreamer and plug ins) and recompile them to start again?

Mark
Mark Falls
Registered Member

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:08 am
ok.....just a quick quesiton. What parts from the gstreamer website download do I really need? I went and got gstreamer-0.8.8 & gst-plugins-0.8.6 and have extracted/compiled/gst-register. Was there any other files I needed to get from gstreamer or will those two do the trick for me?

Oh and before I forget, THANKS!!!

Mark
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:12 am
@gst-plugins i don\'t think there is a newer plugins version out, i\'m using 0.8.6

@gstreamer 0.8.8
choose :)
I prefer to update software, some wait longer ("never change a running system").
Anyway, both should run wih amaroK.

Deleting (moving would be better = backup) the file and running gst-register afterwards should work.

You only need to recompile the plugins if mad wasn\'t created. (it needs madlib and libid3tag-devel - took me some time to figure the second one out -.-)
Since you got that error, recompiling gstreamer wouldn\'t be bad.

What parts from the gstreamer website download do I really need? I went and got gstreamer-0.8.8 & gst-plugins-0.8.6 and have extracted/compiled/gst-register.

These two should do it, unless you want to play monkey audio files. (A lossless format; amaroK has real problems to handle it, so I switched to flac)

Post edited by: Alanceil, at: 2005/01/01 20:23
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:06 am
um, does it work?

If you fully installed those two packages, it should.

Amarok Developer
Mark Falls
Registered Member

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:17 pm
:mad: HMMMMMM, of course not. I am getting a little flustrated at this point. I made sure I had both parts gstreamer & gst-plugins.......read the ¨read me¨ files and did as they stated. BUT when I tried to do the tests each say to run, the 1st one (gstreamer) I get a little information back 6 conflicts or something that, but when I run the test for gst-plugin, it just sits there in ¨pipeline.....¨. Of course I am doing gst-register and that seems to be the problem when I attempt to get the engine working. It keeps saying no engine registered. Is there a file I need to look for?

Thanks

Mark
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:10 pm
No idea. I was going to refer you to gstreamer, but they apparently have no user mailing list. A little suspicious.

Amarok Developer