This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Yet another gradient post

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brk3

Yet another gradient post

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:45 am
hi,
I know there\'s a good few posts up over the last while about the gradient. The developers seem to be fairly strict that they want it left the way it is. I just kind of accepted this but just there when amarok was loading, it flashed up for a quick second without the gradient before it was fully loaded and it just really did remind how much better it looks without that grey background. I was wondering if we could just settle the issue right now on this thread, what do other people think. Im thinking that theres still a good few of us out there that still arent fully happy with it. How about putting up a voting poll on wheter people like it or not? I think that would be the best way to get a fair view on it.
krj

Re:Yet another gradient post

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:40 am
I agree with your opinion. With classic colour scheme (my favourite one before gradient was introduced) it looks UGLY (gradient is gray within the blue window...), see the screenshot for example. What is more it looks like developers love gradient and we, users, can do nothing about it.

When I was switching to amarok I had a dream ;) that some day it will be more powerful than foobar2000 (which is in my opinion one of the best music players ever) but while in foobar *everything* is an option in amarok we have still the same options for dummies and \"one, good for all\" vision. It is in some way sad, but no offence. ;)

You can disable gradient once for all if you patch the sources. It is not complicated, even for users without QT programming experience. :) If you are interested in patching your amarok sources answer here and I will prepare patch for you. :)
Hans
Administrator
OS

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:16 am
I\'m one of those \"boring guys\", who dislike the gradiant. Now, the gradient in context and OSD are gone, but it remains in playlist. Looking on old screenshots, I say I loved it musch more without gradient. But, I also think it\'s ok in playlist, but the OSD should IMHO be clean and easy to read, gradient just don\'t fit there as it is now. Someone post sometinhg like that you could chose the two colours in gradient, if you want it in one colour just select se same colours for gradient - I think that would be great.

Again, I\'m sorry for being boring, but that\'s my opinion ;)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:22 pm
Well, from the little I know about foobar2000 its for the that rare breed of Windows user that isn\'t satisfied with WMP and wants something powerful. amaroK does want to be powerful, but not at the expense of usability/maintainability. Adding options is a poor solution to a problem in general. Just check out Konqueror\'s setting window to see what I mean.

Amarok Developer
krj

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:51 pm
Adding options is a poor solution to a problem in general. Just check out Konqueror\'s setting window to see what I mean.

What\'s wrong with Konqueror\'s setting window? In my opinion it\'s great. I can set almost everything as I need not as Konqueror\'s developers need. Isn\'t that right? :-)
david
Registered Member

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:46 pm
I like the gradient - especially in the background of the OSD!

I admit that I prefer having to much options over having not enough options!
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:06 am
Well, at least your consistent. I think it has too many options.

Amarok Developer
xatax
Registered Member

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:52 am
amaroK supports StyleSheets nicely now.. although they have to be manualy installed and configured at the moment.