This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

memory usage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zit

memory usage

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:20 pm
Um. Slap me if I\'m a retard but amarok uses 35% of my memory. Is this normal?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:memory usage

Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:07 pm
amaroK uses memory in the 28-40 megabyte range.

Amarok Developer
zit

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:29 am
You know, I\'m not one to complain about memory usage much. My system has plenty of it. However, when an audio app uses this much memory, I have to think about it. Is this normal? Is it a memory leak? Why does amarok require so much ram? Is it the actual player that uses all this ram? Or the playlist? Or both?

I just think it\'s absurd that a app engineered for one purpose, listening to audio, uses so much ram. Could it be gstreamer and it\'s pluging using this much?
zit

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:59 am
bmp uses 16% of my memory. amarok 35%. I don\'t understand what additional tasks amarok does whilst running that bmp doesn\'t do that requires such high memory usage.

I want to hear from a developer.

Thanks
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:21 am
I\'m not a developer, but if 40 megabytes (at most) takes up that much percentage of RAM then you obviously don\'t have much RAM. amaroK takes 8.3% of my memory and my computer is 2 years old. amaroK has the additional feature of not sucking, this takes extra RAM. Ok, actually amaroK just has a lot of widgets and the music database (sqlite is about 10 megabytes of memory judging from the change when I switched to mysql), that all takes memory. People are only going to have more memory, reducing the amount of memory used is generally not a priority in any development.

You still haven\'t told us how much memory your amaroK is actually taking up, if it is out-of-the-ordinary maybe you are experiencing a memory leak or something.

Amarok Developer
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:42 pm
well, welcome to modern programming. They teach us to not care about memory, unless doing embedded or similar.

Amarok Developer
zit

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:25 pm
eean wrote:
I\'m not a developer, but if 40 megabytes (at most) takes up that much percentage of RAM then you obviously don\'t have much RAM. amaroK takes 8.3% of my memory and my computer is 2 years old. amaroK has the additional feature of not sucking, this takes extra RAM. Ok, actually amaroK just has a lot of widgets and the music database (sqlite is about 10 megabytes of memory judging from the change when I switched to mysql), that all takes memory. People are only going to have more memory, reducing the amount of memory used is generally not a priority in any development.

You still haven\'t told us how much memory your amaroK is actually taking up, if it is out-of-the-ordinary maybe you are experiencing a memory leak or something.

Amarok uses anywhere betwee 10mb at start and I\'ve seen it use up to 24mb. I\'ve got 512mb of RAM so I don\'t really think i have a ram shortage. If I had a memory leak, my entire system would be VERY unstable as I would suffer from frequent crashes, amongst other things. Also, if it were a memory leak, odds are memory used by amarok would never be freed up again when I close the program.

If switching to mysql from sqlite makes that much of a different, I\'ll go that route. However beta 1.2 and CVS crashes and doesn\'t compile (respectively). So I guess I\'ll wait since that would drop the memory consumption to about equal to bmp. We\'ll see when I 1.2 final is out with mysql support.

My bad for saying it takes that much (percentage) of my total ram. I meant to say it uses that much of my total used ram.
zit

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:27 pm
The \'doesn\'t suck\' feature should not require the program to be a memory hog. Just my 2 cents.

Amarok certainly does not suck. It has all the features I want in a player, minus memory thing.
rokkford
Registered Member

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:50 pm
turn off scrobbler. worked fine with me. amarok used almost 100% memory. after turnig off scrobbler, the system runs clean again.