This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to sync with Media Device?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Miles Stevenson
Registered Member

How to sync with Media Device?

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:54 am
I\'m running Amarok from CVS Head.

I have an iRiver H320 which simply mounts as a vfat filesystem. How do I use the\"Media Device\" functionality to sync with it? Does this only work with the iPod? Can I simply specify another folder to sync with? I don\'t see any buttons or config options to let me specify what to sync my collection to.
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:How to sync with Media Device?

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:33 pm
In amaroK 1.2-beta3 it only works with Ipod, and I dont think they have changed that. But I do think other devices are planned to be supported (and if not, \"iPod\" is a better name than\"Media Device\").
Mike Arnold
Registered Member

Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:01 pm
iPod is only a better name for those with iPods :)

I\'m looking at what it would take on top of the IPod class to make this thing sync playlists and the music library to my Creative Zen Jukebox. I\'m looking at the kionjb piece first since this doesn\'t work with libnjb2.0 - which I need to talk to my device. libnjb 1.3 just blobs repeatedly.

Once I\'m happy that is working I will then look to work with the amarok guys to make the \"Sync to Jukebox\" pluggable. Last source I looked at, and I\'m just trying to build KDE 3.4 from CVS, the MediaDevice classes were too closely coupled to the IPod class to make it a generic pluggable solution. I\'d prefer to see a pluggable mediadevice architecture. If I eventually find time to look at this - I will \'cos 30Gb is a lot of space to fill transferring a few files at a time - then I\'ll try and knock something up. Ideally it should be configurable as you suggest, but I don\'t think it is. it looked for a hardcoded path from the last CVS code I looked at (yesterday :) ).

Amarok rocks btw. Top piece of code.

B)
Coume
Registered Member

Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:16 am
mstevenson wrote:
I\'m running Amarok from CVS Head.

I have an iRiver H320 which simply mounts as a vfat filesystem. How do I use the"Media Device" functionality to sync with it? Does this only work with the iPod? Can I simply specify another folder to sync with? I don\'t see any buttons or config options to let me specify what to sync my collection to.

Hello,
same situation here! I own a H340 (basically the same than H320 with 40gb). If amarok was able to sync with it, it would be great!

Bests,
Ludo
noleti

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:53 am
Same here, iRiver H320 which I would like to fill with amarok. The manual kindof suggests its working with every player so I was confused until I found this post. Otherwise - I love Amarok :)
muesli
KDE Developer

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:49 pm
well, if i had a zen or an iriver, it would be great to develop it :-)

but i only got an ipod so far, that\'s why it only supports the ipod atm. but yes, it should support other devices in the future, too. depends on if there\'s a new developer with such a device or someone\'s willing to sponsor me such a device.

regards,
muesli
iamweasel

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:31 pm
support for more players would be nice. i own a philips hdd065 which is mountable as hard disk but songs have to be in a database. yet, theres no chance for me to easy sync my playlist under linux :(
decembersoul

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:25 pm
A friend and I have the same collection of mp3\'s.

It would be nice if we could sync our collection over the net (lan or maybe inet)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:26 pm
A friend and I have the same collection of mp3\'s.

It would be nice if we could sync our collection over the net (lan or maybe inet)

No reason amaroK should be the application to do this.

Post edited by: eean, at: 2005/04/12 09:27

Amarok Developer
decembersoul

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:59 pm
Let\'s put it this way:
It should be possible to sync two directorys.
like:
/home/xyz/media/mp3
and
/mnt/extern/mp3

/mnt/extern could be:
extern hdd
smb dir
usb-device
Jason

Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:54 pm
There\'s no need for you to get an iRiver in order to support it.

Many people simply treat their iRivers as a hard drive, and manage files that way. It would be great if amaroK could support removable hard drives, in general. For example, I use it on my laptop. At home, I connect to my home server\'s drive, which contains a big load of mp3s. When I leave home, and run amarok, the whole database is lost, since amarok sees that the drive is gone. So, when I get home, I have to rebuild the ENTIRE database. (If there\'s already some way I can avoid this, please let me know!)

Sometimes, I use an external hard drive (not mp3 player) instead. There is a similar problem with this... as soon as the USB drive is disconnected, the library is shot.

Admittedly, this is a tricky configuration to handle. I\'d be interested in helping to develop this feature.
Juan Ehrenhaus

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:14 pm
I am an mp3 player user (creative Muvo and YAKUMO) both of them working perfectlly with Linux. but amarok couldn\'t syncronize the mp3 music list. That will be great if I can handle this from amarok directly.
I am ready to test some solutions for this function.
Best reagrds to all the amarok Team (V 1.2.3 ) great Job
Juan_Lutz
decembersoul

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:36 pm
@Jason

You have to deactived \"change supervise\".
I use a USB HD.
It works fine.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:20 am
Actually people want amaroK to somehow handle MP3\'s they have on CD-R\'s. So yes, \'removeable media\' support is something that would be nice to have. Just kinda tricky.

Amarok Developer
decembersoul

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:30 pm
At the moment there is a Message: \"The local file does not exist\" (\"Die Lokale Datei existiert nicht\")

It could be \"Can\'t find File at /mnt/cdrom, please insert CD-XYZ\"