This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

mass tagging

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
febs

mass tagging

Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:22 am
amarok best features are pretty useless if music files are not tagged or are tagged in a **** way.
IMHO amarok should provide more features to enable mass tagging of files. Something like a incremental track number (I mean, allow to sort the files in a dir and then applying sequence number in the way they\'re sorted... I hate to edit that track by track) and others small details like that (creating tag from filename and backwards, to say one).
Mass tagging with musicbrainz would also be killer for tagging a big collection (and amarok is the reason why many people will want to tag their one, boys)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:mass tagging

Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:51 pm
There\'s already incremental tag numbering.

I would be surprised if by a year from now there wasn\'t more advanced tagging features.

Amarok Developer
joker667

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:16 am
I dont know if it helps you, but i searched a wihle to find such a tool for Linux:
easytag http://easytag.sourceforge.net/
febs

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:33 am
thanx. It would be beautiful to have it integrated with amaroK, anyhow.
I\'m pretty sure it will grow and it will become more and more powerful and beautiful.

Thanx devs. I will perhaps join you once I\'ll have the skills :|
Max Howell
Alumni

Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:08 am
Eventually we\'ll prolly end up with something like this, people always ask for it despite the fact we are just an audio-player and constantly bolting on extra functionality that is just about related to playing music can be bad for the product. iTunes etc. do this well, but they were designed from the ground up, not built gradually like us.

In the mean time there are dozens and dozens of tagging solutions out there. We recommend kid3, try it out.
febs

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:14 pm
I think that features to allow mass and easy tagging of files are not out of place in a program which uses them a lot to do it\'s best.
I already tried the kid3 tool, but didn\'t liked it (no features to rename files). Building easytag now. :)

Ciao
PeteD

Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:09 am
Kid3 can rename files, just click on the From ID3v1 or From ID3v2 buttons (next to where it says Filename, hint hint) after putting the required fields in the box that has a dropdown for %t %s etc (you can type them in yourself if you don\'t like their options).

Easytag was just a pain to use out of the box for me so I ditched it.
pfr

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:25 pm
mxcl wrote:
iTunes etc. do this well, but they were designed from the ground up, not built gradually like us.

iTunes may do it well, but foobar2000 does it exceptionally well. There\'s something else to be learned there: replaygain and gapless playback especially. And those are closely related to music. Much more so than lyrics display etc. (even if they are nice features to have).

Adding masstagger, replaygain and gapless playback amaroK would be the definite number one for audio playback on linux - no questions asked.
Max Howell
Alumni

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:28 am
xine-engine has gapless playback, use it.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:06 pm
Heh, that explains why I wonder why people complain about the gaps between songs. I always assumed I just wasn\'t paying enough attention to notice them.

Amarok Developer
pfr

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:01 am
Xine engine doesn\'t seem to be gapless for me. Not at least on lame-encoded \"gapless\" mp3s. Can\'t get aac or mpc to work so I can\'t test on those, and I don\'t seem to have any vorbis albums that are meant to be gapless.
ndrs
Registered Member

Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:00 am
Hi,

first of all, I would like to thank the amaroK team for providing their excellent work to the public ! I really appreciate the player and the way it is improving. The speed of development and the interaction with the community are impressing.

With the features amaroK provides, the need for proper tagging became an issue for me as well. I tested a lot of different tag editors, which all didn\'t implement my full wish list:
- correct handling of id3v2.4 tags
- full MusicBrainz support (incl. saving MB-IDs to tags)
- album/CD orientated features (picard-like)
- support for pictures in tags/directories (incl. download from free databases)
- file/directory renaming
- support for user defined tags

Concerning several tag editing feature requests for amaroK,
mxcl wrote:
Eventually we\'ll prolly end up with something like this, people always ask for it despite the fact we are just an audio-player and constantly bolting on extra functionality that is just about related to playing music can be bad for the product. iTunes etc. do this well, but they were designed from the ground up, not built gradually like us.

In the mean time there are dozens and dozens of tagging solutions out there. We recommend kid3, try it out.

I am interested in contributing to a tagging solution with the above mentioned features. The approach I am thinking of is a dedicated tag editor with full integration into the KDE framework. It could be used by amaroK and CD rippers via DCOP or run standalone. Would the amaroK team be interested in such or a similiar contribution ?

Best regards