This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[bug] playlist crashing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LightEater
Registered Member

[bug] playlist crashing

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:50 am
When starting amarok i get \"some urls were not suitable for the playlist\", and the previous playlist doesnt load. Also, when trying to load my m3u playlist (about 3k songs) manually amarok crashes with no errors...

Using latest amarok-cvs, arts engine, taglib1.3.1

any insight?

[edit] now it wont even start for good :))

Post edited by: LightEater, at: 2005/01/19 21:57
Jacob

Re:[bug] playlist crashing

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:13 am
LightEater wrote:
When starting amarok i get "some urls were not suitable for the playlist", and the previous playlist doesnt load.

The same thing happens for me, and it has been that way for the past several CVS snapshots.

I\'m currently using amaroK 1.2-CVS-20050126. Xine is my selected engine.

Is this a known problem, or would you like some more information that might help you figure it out? Does anyone know a workaround that will preserve my playlist between invocations?
Jacob

Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:53 am
I found out what was causing the problem in my playlist. It turns out that some invalid ID3 tags can cause the playlist file to be generated incorrectly. Fixing the ID3 tags can prevent this from happening.

How I found the invalid ID3 tags was by opening current.xml (probably in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/current.xml) in Firefox (the Mozilla Suite should work, too). Firefox reports XML parsing errors in the browser. Go to the line number where the error is reported in a text editor, and you should see the the first playlist item with the bad meta-data. Retag the music file, fix the XML file, and try reloading it again, fixing any more errors. By the time you fix all the ID3 tags and XML errors, Firefox should load current.xml without any problem. Then you know you\'re done.

After I fixed everything, my playlist was saved & restored properly. I\'ve reported the bug to the developers.
Jord

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:01 am
Having the same problem, although not with an existing playlist. Thing is that I\'m trying to add music to the playlist and it give the non-suitable URLs error. Happens to a lot of my music. I can\'t seem to identify any wrong tags though.
Tim

Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:05 am
I had the same problem when using the Xine engine. Switching to gstreamer fixed the problem though.

FYI I am using Debian/Kalyxo amarok 1.2.1
Michael

Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:19 am
I have this error message when adding ogg files while using gstreamer backend. With other backends I can add the files to the playlist. Also, If the files are in the playlist before I change to gstreamer, I can then hear them which gstreamer. Weird problem.
Shash

Sun May 08, 2005 2:48 pm
I find that this problem is dependant on what file codec plugins are installed for the engine you\'re using. For example, (in Gentoo), I installed gst-plugins-ogg and artsplugin-mpg123, which killed this problem.
Todd

Fri May 20, 2005 11:40 pm
Michael wrote:
I have this error message when adding ogg files while using gstreamer backend. ... Also, If the files are in the playlist before I change to gstreamer, I can then hear them which gstreamer.

I have the same problem, but cannot seem to fix it. Even if the playlist is loaded prior to selecting the GStreamer engine, I get no sound. The player just cycles through the songs, silently dwelling on each for just a few seconds.

amaroK 1.2.3
sebr

Sat May 21, 2005 10:16 am
make sure you kill the arts daemon.

before you run amaroK, run the command, \'killall -9 artsd\'