This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Opinions on Multi-Disc Albums

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Miles Stevenson
Registered Member

Opinions on Multi-Disc Albums

Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:30 am
This is not a feature request. This is more of a rant against nobody in particular.

So I have a ton of albums that have multiple CD\'s in the case. I also have a few boxed sets. I find it very annoying the way this info is sorted by CDDB, standard ID3 tags, and every music manager I have seen.

Example, I have 1 album called \"**** Brew\" by Miles Davis. This album has 2 CD\'s, not because they are two different albums, but because everything can\'t fit on 1 CD. Yet every music manager, including CDDB lookups, show two separate albums:

**** Brew (Disc 1)
**** Brew (Disc 2)

This is dumb. I say this because this is 1 album, not two. This means that if I were to query for all my Miles Davis albums, **** Brew is going to show up twice. This means that I have to store the SAME cover picture twice. Especially Amarok\'s view of \"Other Albums by this Artist\" repeats the same albums over and over again (especially boxed sets, one of which has 12 discs and shows up quite ugly). How many albums do I own? This would count as two. I think this is completely retarded because it doesn\'t distinguish the difference between an \"Album\" and a \"Compact Disc\". They are 2 different things, yet CDDB can\'t seem to grasp this. No offense to music players such as Amarok that are simply conforming to the standard.

I realize that the track numbers do not go in sequential order across both discs. How hard would it have been to add a \"Disc\" tag though? How hard would it have been to say that this is Track #1, Disc #2, on the Album \"**** Brew\"? Sometimes I wish I had the time and the programming know-how to just ditch all these dumb existing standards, and do my own thing from scratch, the \"not-dumb\" way.

What would you do differently?
mortiferus
Registered Member

Re:Opinions on Multi-Disc Albums

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:17 am
Actualy I dont read it as 2 albums. To have it as 2 albums one would use Volume x, not Disc x. So Disc x is the standard way of marking multiple-disc albums. But amaroK could handle them smarter. I think it strips them of the Disc x part when it searches for the album art, so maybe it should do the same those places you want it (altough, I dont mind having Disc 1 and Disc 2 as 2 seperate entryes in the \"other albums\" list).