This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

not a feature request but more of a suggestion

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wolverine
I have only recently become aware of amaroK while looking for a relacement for the good-old XMMS. I have to say that this is one of the most feature-full KDE applications that I am aware of and I was very pleasanty surprised by it. Kudos to the developers for all the hard work invested in this.

One thing that I have found frustrating is that amaroK seems to lose most of the settings changed and playlist score if it crashes. For example, I\'ll be using it for a few hours building up the score in the process. I have now settled for the xine engine (gstreamer gives out strange crackling sounds when changing songs and arts is just too buggy, using 100% of my CPU), but while I was trying out various settings for the engines, amaroK would crash and revert the score to what they were before the crashed instance of amaroK was started. I am using the latest beta (1.2-beta3) compiled for AMD64 but I am pretty certain this was the case even with Debian package of amaroK, which is now at 1.1 version.

This might not be an issue for everyone but it\'s pretty frustrating to me. I work and play from home and I use amaroK at least 14 hours every day. Losing the score, settings and playlist changes made is a a bit of a turn-off (not enough to look for alternatives, not by a long shot but still an unpleasant thing to have happen to you). If I quit amaroK \"nicely\", all is well and everything is retained.

I guess what I am asking is if it is possilble to save the score, settings and playlist everytime they are changed and not just when amaroK exits nicely.

Once again, thanks for all the great work you guys do.
muesli
KDE Developer
score is saved in the database, and therefore not lost upon crashes...
other than that: well, we rather fix the crashes ;-)

regards,
muesli
Max Howell
Alumni
Just commited something to make sure settings are saved before a crash. Thought I\'d done this ages ago. Sorry...

The db issue is different, mysql works a lot better than sqlite in this case.
muesli
KDE Developer
woah. sounds kick-ass :-) thanks mxcl!

...muesli