This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

filter - regexp?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Niclas Gustafsson
Registered Member

filter - regexp?

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:24 pm
Hi!
It would be great if you could add regexp support to the filter-field.

Sometimes when I play music I might want to filter, say four different artists, then it would be great with this regular expression support, or maybe just be able to write something like this:
tool & rammstein
and every song/artist containing those words would be filtered.

/Niclas in Sweden
sebr

Re:filter - regexp?

Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:53 am
I had started to implement this before i left for my trip, but i never finished... :(

If it is not done by the time i get home, i will make sure i do it :-)

(remind me in 1 month)
atrox
Registered Member
OS

Re: filter - regexp?

Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:36 pm
Hi.

I still don't see this feature implemented in Amarok 1.3.9 :confused:

Any comments? Should I activate it somewhere?

Silver
Rihards
Registered Member

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:56 pm
well, somebody is going to tell you soon that 1.3 is not supported anymore ;)
anyway, some functionality of regexp search can be achieved by kewords.
for an intro you could look at
http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index. ... _Filtering

anyway, even in 1.3.9 something like "tool rammstein" in the filter field should work without any problems, filtering for these words anywhere.

you can build more advanced queries by means described in the url i pasted above.

of course, something like "artist:^a" or "title:ies$" would be cool, though that would require an ability to enable/disable regexp searches (for the simple reason to allow usage of regexp control characters in simple searches - escaping or double escaping them does not seem to be a good solution ;) ), which probably might clutter gui more, etc, etc...

maybe improving current keyword filtering would do for now, so that you could find most of the things you are interested for.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:53 am
IMO RegExp is a bit too advanced for the average user. I'm fairly sure that only a small fraction of our users could actually use it. Not worth the trouble.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
feld
Registered Member

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:35 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:IMO RegExp is a bit too advanced for the average user. I'm fairly sure that only a small fraction of our users could actually use it. Not worth the trouble.

how is that a valid reason? we're not forcing the average user to learn regex. Are you from the Gnome camp? Why would you prevent such wonderful advanced features from being used?
Hydrogen
Registered Member

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:09 am
feld wrote:
Mark Kretschmann wrote:IMO RegExp is a bit too advanced for the average user. I'm fairly sure that only a small fraction of our users could actually use it. Not worth the trouble.

how is that a valid reason? we're not forcing the average user to learn regex. Are you from the Gnome camp? Why would you prevent such wonderful advanced features from being used?

You just made yourself look really unintelligent.

Googleesque searching is more than sufficient, regex would just be a silly waste of time, not only coding it initially, but writing regex's to find certain music.

srsly, who the hell says "I want to listen to all music that ends in "enr" today, but has less that 7 letters in the name.
Rihards
Registered Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:43 am
Dan wrote:srsly, who the hell says "I want to listen to all music that ends in "enr" today, but has less that 7 letters in the name.

well, not exactly for listening to music, but for finding different interesting stats on your collection - could be interesting. of course, such a thing would probably get boring pretty soon, so there would be little people using it.
anyway, if a person knows regexps, it probably would be better to write sql queries to find the information required (though that requires some knowledge past very basic, and some understanding of how amarok stores information).