This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Thoughts on Beta4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
axl

Thoughts on Beta4

Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:38 pm
Well done Amarok team for another great release. Just thought I\'d give a couple of comments on what I\'ve found with it.

I changed to using MySQL DB backend which is really great. But I noticed that rescanning my collection, Amarok picked up non-media files (e.g. txt files). It didn\'t do this before so I\'m assuming this is a bug?

Also, on the main window, beta 3\'s status bar at the bottom of the window had RND and RPT which could be double clicked to enable random and repeat of playlists. This seems to have gone in beta4. Have I just missed something or has it really gone? I found those very useful, especially as adding buttons to the toolbar at the moment isn\'t very convenient since there is no icon associated with them. I also thought their location made a good use of space.

The new OSD is nice, I like the transparancy. I am kinda missing the round corners and grading though ;)

Finally, I think I\'ve lost an option somewhere! In beta3 you could set an option that said whether the main window was linked to the small player window, ie bring one to the front and they come together. I un-selected this in beta3 and I\'ve decided I like them linked but I can\'t find this option anywhere in beta4. Has this gone?

Anyway, congrats once again on a great release!
Max Howell
Alumni

Re:Thoughts on Beta4

Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:45 pm
axl wrote:
Well done Amarok team for another great release. Just thought I\'d give a couple of comments on what I\'ve found with it.

I changed to using MySQL DB backend which is really great. But I noticed that rescanning my collection, Amarok picked up non-media files (e.g. txt files). It didn\'t do this before so I\'m assuming this is a bug?
Fixed! :)

Also, on the main window, beta 3\'s status bar at the bottom of the window had RND and RPT which could be double clicked to enable random and repeat of playlists. This seems to have gone in beta4. Have I just missed something or has it really gone? I found those very useful, especially as adding buttons to the toolbar at the moment isn\'t very convenient since there is no icon associated with them. I also thought their location made a good use of space.
It\'s gone until we can find icons to replace the texts

The new OSD is nice, I like the transparancy. I am kinda missing the round corners and grading though ;)
Rounded corners will return!

Finally, I think I\'ve lost an option somewhere! In beta3 you could set an option that said whether the main window was linked to the small player window, ie bring one to the front and they come together. I un-selected this in beta3 and I\'ve decided I like them linked but I can\'t find this option anywhere in beta4. Has this gone?
It\'s gone, it was a maintenance nightmare.

Anyway, congrats once again on a great release!

Cheers! :)
axl

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:23 pm
Wow - fast reply. Thanks for the answers, it\'s all good to know. Can\'t wait for 1.2 final.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you dev guys done experiments on the relative performance of sqlite and mysql? I like Mysql as I have lots of experience with it but just wondering if it affects performance much.
Max Howell
Alumni

Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 am
The general verdict is that mysql is faster. sqlite isn\'t lite as in speed.
axl

Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:26 pm
Great! I just like it as I know my way around it better :D

One last thing. What happened to the artsd support? Was it intentionally dropped? It means now that amarok locks the sound system for me and I have to quit it in order to, for example, watch a movie clip in mplayer. Or am I getting this all wrong? I\'m using Debian KDE 3.3.2 btw.
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:01 pm
I also dislike this behaviour.
To workaround it, you can use dmix for alsa (see the Wiki for details!). In my experience it is not working well everywhere, but worth a try.
Alexander
Registered Member

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:16 pm
Ran into the same problem with the collection list picking up odd files. Easy temporary fix (plus hopefully for any possible further headaches with oddities in future releases) - make sure all MP3 files are in a directory by themselves -> Configure amaroK -> Collection -> uncheck the default Home -> manually go in and check the directory(s) which have only the MP3s and MP3s ONLY

Viola! Problem solved untl next CVS that addresses that issue or major release. B)

On a side note, it seemed to create difficulties with the cover manager when it was picking up text files in the collection.