This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Advanced fading

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gunnarwegner

Advanced fading

Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:53 pm
I\'d like to ask for a feature: I have songs which I\'d like to exempt from fading in, because they start right away. Now, I know that this would be hard to realise (maybe an option in the context menu \"add without fading in\"), but could the fading options be extended?

I think of an option that allows me to globally choose only to fade out, starting the next song right away.

What do you think?

Greetings and thanks for the great program, although I don\'t share your taste of music :)
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Re:Advanced fading

Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:51 pm
That would be nice, the info for crossfading could be stored in it\'s own id3 tag or in the (mostly unused) comment field.

Combined with an album detection mechanism that suppresses crossfading (example: You got a live cd which is just seperated into tracks for easier navigation and does not contain any pause between the tracks) this would be even better. (Imho this last feature was asked for several times)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:49 am
Better would be for a crossfading system take noticies automatically what needs crossfading or not.

Amarok Developer
maos
Registered Member

Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:35 am
might there be a DCOP toggleCrossfade type call in the future? or am I missing an existing one?

thanks~
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:11 pm
There might be. Why do you need it?

Amarok Developer
maos
Registered Member

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:02 pm
I\'ve just been playing with a simple bash script - it gets and lists amarok recognized playlists from ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/playlistbrowser_save, and lets me call them by number, among other calls (like mute, show OSD, pick a random playlist, shuffle the current list, yadda yadda).

I had the thought I might add an argument that would toggle off/on crossfade, so I could call playlist 3 with 3 -cf to turn off crossfade... or maybe make a \"blacklist\" type textfile that contained playlists the script would read and know to turn it off for. (I guess that would benefit from a crossfadeStatus type call, too) :)

need? nah, I\'m just messing around! I like crossfading, it\'s a great feature. but I do have quite a bit of live music that might benefit from selective no gap play. seems to me to be best implemented by playlist, rather than per song tag. make a playlist, right click and choose \"crossfade off\"? sneak a switch into playlistbrowser_save?
malakym

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:16 am
The xmms-crossfade plugin offers some advanced crossfading options, such as setting different crossfade times for \"automatic songchange\", \"seeking\", \"manual stop\", \"start of playback\" etc etc, as well as different types of crossfading. This comes in quite handy at times, as I usually like different crossfade times depending on where the fading is happening (ie short fade in at the beginning of playback, long at end of playlist, medium between tracks).
An additional feature that would be very welcome is an automatic detection of whether or not tracks are successive; ie when listening to a complete album, crossfading is unnecessary, or sometimes even annoying, since many trance albums are already mixed to be continuous, so additional fading detracts from the \"listening experience\". So crossfading could be turned off if sucessive tracks are from the same album and have sequential track numbers.
ms

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:33 pm
It would be cool if amaroK simply would not crossfade between tracks of the same cd that are played in thier original order!

example:

crossfading between \"Artist1 - cd2 - track5\" and \"Artist1 - cd2 - track2\"
NO crossfading between \"Artist1 - cd2 - track5\" and \"Artist1 - cd2 - track6\"

This rule should be easy to implement...
And it would be great for live cds (like mentioned above)! B)
ms

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:36 pm
oops, didnt read the second page of this thread.. sorry! :S

malakym already posted my suggestion :)
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:19 pm
I dunno if its unnecesary given that one of the purposes of xfade is to cover up the gap that exists between tracks when playing with gstreamer (as opposed to xine, which is gapless, but doesn\'t have xfade).

But yea, this is a suggestion that periodically comes up.

Amarok Developer