This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

.cue support ? (+tag guessing)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
plisk

.cue support ? (+tag guessing)

Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:35 pm
Hi All,

Does amaroK supports .cue files ? I recently came from windows land where i used foobar2000 as my main player(i still do through wine tho) to linux and the only one player that could replace foobar is amaroK, liked it right away :P . But one(two actually, but about 2nd later) thing is still prevents me to completely switching to it - its missing of .cue files support, you know, when you have 1 long mix in mp3 and in .cue file you have description of tracks in that mp3, very useful when you listen to dj mixes, group releases and such. In case its not supported is it considered/planned to add later ? In case not planned(well, its still not that bad :) ), i\'d want to ask developers here - is this possible at all to add it without rewriting half of the amaroK\'s core ? I\'d try then myself to add it after your blessing :).

And about 2nd feature at once if i mentioned it. Its a bit tricky, so be patient please :). Is it possible to do tag guessing when performing collection building ? Tag guessing means for example, that when we add \"01 Fav Artist - Nice Track.mp3\" file to the database we scan its tags by taglib(?, i quickly looked at amaroK\'s underlying libs, read FAQ etc, correct me pls if i\'m wrong) and there could be no artist tag in mp3, or tracknumber tag formatted like 01/nn(where nn is total amount of tracks in album) and so on, so here pops an idea to try to guess missed tags from other places, filename for example. Here we could guess pretty easy that artist is Fav Artist and only after guessing add it to database. Sure its optional feature, but also useful when you have gigs of files came from friend who doesn\'t care much about proper tags(its for real, one friend of mine have bunch of albums with no tags at all with tracks named just track01.mp3, track02.mp3 and so on, but here even guessing won\'t help :) ) or in case of group releases, where i seen all the possible ways of tags formatting(changing them by hand isn\'t an option for me, i have my reasons for that) so if you use just plain tags reading on all that mess you end up with pretty bad looking albums in player, but thanks foobar2000 was featured enough to help me struglle this. So now i\'d like to do the same on amaroK, cos seems with a little bit of tweaking it could do this, in taglib i seen mentions that its supports plugins, so i guess its possible to write tag guessing plugin to it so all the process would be transparent to amaroK\'s core ? Its also would be great if developers could comment on this.

And thanks in advance :).
Moxon

Re:.cue support ? (+tag guessing)

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:33 am
plisk wrote:

Does amaroK supports .cue files ?

If there was voting for features, I\'d vote for CUE support.
I recently switched to lossless encoding and do all my CDs
as big flac files with cue sheet. The XMMS mp3cue doesn\'t
show the entries in the playlist, instead it shows them
in a separate window.

My wish\'n\'humble request is for amarok to support cue files.
The useability will be improved, if entries from the cue
sheet are handled as separate tracks and I thus can shuffle,
sort etc them.

PS: seen amarok, dumped XMMS in no time.
Andreas Philipp
Registered Member

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:35 am
Moxon wrote:
plisk wrote:
Does amaroK supports .cue files ?

If there was voting for features, I\'d vote for CUE support.

Support for cue files is recorded in the amaroK bug database as a wishlist item. You can vote for this feature to be included going to http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83557.

I\'d also love to see this feature in amaroK, and I cast my vote!
Moxon

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:47 am
Hm, right ... how comes I didn\'t notice that before. Luckily
it is already a confirmed bug due voting. So we might really
get this useful feature.
Caboose

Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:25 pm
I\'d like this too. I too used fb2k in windows to play DJ mixes, it was nice. There was a winamp plugin much the same as the xmms one where it opened the cue in a seperate window.