This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

feature request: various

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
malakym

feature request: various

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:11 am
I just started using amaroK, switched from madman. It\'s a really awesome piece of software! I dig the sidebar, album covers, and automatic lyric fetching, and very especially the tight audioscrobbler integration, with automatic suggestions. So coming from madman, here are a few suggestions and things i miss:

searching: one problem: if an artist is only in a compilation album he won\'t be listed, and so a search for him won\'t come up with anything even tho there\'s a track in the database by him.

collection view: i find it very hard to browse for the songs i want, it\'s kind of \"cramped\". On \"various artists\" albums, the artists aren\'t listed, so they don\'t get listed in searches as mentioned above and it makes it very hard to find something. I would recommend a three-panel view in the collections, with the current playlist on the far right and containing just essential information, ie title and artist; the sidebar on the left as it currently is, minus individual songs, so only artist/album information (or genre, or just album) is displayed; and then in the middle a detailed view of the songs that match the currently selected category from the sidebar. This would present a more clearly layed out music collection and would make navigation a lot more intuitive, as well as allow some advanced search features along the lines of madman. The same layout could be applied to the playlists view.

two more small thing:
1.on song change, the view is automatically switched \"context\". This can be quite annoying when browsing the collection looking for new songs.
2.In the conext view on the current track, other albums by the currently playing artist at listed, including compilation albums (\"various artists\"). The artists of tracks in the compilation albums aren\'t listed however, making it hard to place the songs, or find the one track by the current artist. So a request would be to display artist information along with track title and number when the album is by different artists.

But yeah, overall i\'m very impressed by amaroK so far, i really enjoy using it... cool all you guys developing it :)
muesli
KDE Developer

Re:feature request: various

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:26 am
wrt 1. disable it in the config dialog.

regards,
muesli
malakym

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:00 pm
ahh, thanks!
Barney

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:23 pm
I completely agree with you about point 2)
Is there any possibility to list the artists on CD compilations in the main directory - and show only selected CDs under \"Various Artists\" or \"*Album Name*\" (e.g. for sound tracks). That\'s really confusing.

Besides this minor problem - Amarok is the best music player I\'ve ever worked with....