This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio engines and CPU usage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Adam

Audio engines and CPU usage

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:47 am
Day 4 with Amarok, and I have to say, this is officially one of those \'killer\' apps so-called linux guru\'s talk about. Anyway enough praise - I\'ve been following the aRts debate and completely understand that GStreamer is more actively developed and all-round better BUT no matter how hard I try, with all combinations of settings, GStreamer averages at 7 - 30% CPU usage, whereas aRts peaks at 3%. On top of that, crossfading in Gstreamer gives a half second skip between tracks with a nice CPU spike.

This isn\'t a problem, as aRts works great and I\'m happy. But somebody tell me how I can be a cool GStreamer kid and not a sappy aRts geek!
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Audio engines and CPU usage

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:54 am
The skipping issue is fixed in CVS.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Adam

Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:05 am
Ruddy Marvellous!

I love you all.
Quimbaya

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:50 am
I find the xine backend to be the easiest on the CPU. On my rather old PIII/850, it averages at 4-5%.
alok garg
Registered Member

Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:29 am
i also find xine engine the most stable and easy on cpu.plays almost all the formats including wma out of box.