This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Moving files from FIle Browser to Collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
doopdoop
Hi,

it would be nice if you could permantely add media files to a central repository just by having something like \"Move to collection\" in the context menu of the file browser.
A great thing would be, if it would automagically create subdirectories for Genre/Album/Artist.
In connection with audiocd, you have a cheap CD ripper then, without extra dependencies. Also nice when copying files from other media or network shares.

Greetings,
doopdoop
ghkw
Nice idea indeed (and I wonder why there haven\'t been more replies).

However, it requires some infrastructure to make amaroK actually manage the files: People will want to customize how the files are named an where there are located. So there you go creating another dialog that allows to express a file name using id3 tag placeholders. This also implies that when you change the tag of a file, amaroK would have to automatically change it\'s name and position. And of course you\'d need some buttons to \"Import file...\" and \"Import directory...\"

Sounds amazingly similar to what iTunes is doing, but then again that\'s exactly what I want: Just forget about file names and locations when managing my music. And if you\'re more of a KDE fan, it sounds pretty much to what digikam is doing for my fotos, too. ;)
xatax
Registered Member
amaroK doesn\'t have a goal of being a music manager(though will in the future probably) and therefore it has a database based collection and does not offer a feature to rename files based on tags.

Syncronizeing database and filesystem structures would be quite hard actualy.
For example, i have my music orginized in genre/artist/artist - title.ext

Now when you change a genre of a song, then file has to be moved under other genre, artist dir greated if needed and so on. Also the artist dir has to be removed when there is no more songs left in the dir and so on.. This makes managing collection quite hard, also notice that when you move and rename a song, then amaroK will most likely lose its statistics about that file.

My personal suggestion is to manage all your tags in amaroK and make your collection have all the right tags. Then let Juk rename all your songs in the way you like and tell amarok to regenerate the database.This will loose the song statistics though, but will give you the thing you want.

If you in the future want to add songs into your collection, first use the filebrowser to make a playlist of the new files, tag them correctly and then let Juk to rename the into the correct place(amaroK will then automaticaly add them into the collection during a collection scan).

(I today noticed there are quite many bugs in this. Like you can only use one tag once, and if the song already exists then you will get a error wich says nothing. )

In conclusion i would say, that this feature might eventualy be in amaroK but don\'t expect it to be there soon.

Post edited by: xatax, at: 2005/04/15 14:34