This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

AAC (m4a) tags?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JFlac

AAC (m4a) tags?

Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:28 am
Hello,

I\'m a music lover and use iTunes a lot. I have converted most of my 1000+ CDs to m4a\'s and I\'d really like to use them in amaroK. Since I\'ve done them myself, they are plain vanilla m4a, without any DRM.

I\'m using a current Gentoo Linux, and I think I\'m confident that I\'ve compiled amarok (1.2) with the right \'USE flags\'. I\'m on KDE 3.4.

I can play my m4a\'s flawlessly and I really like amaroK\'s polished interface.

But, and that\'s my question, I looks like amaroK won\'t recognize my m4a tags. Neither can\'t I ask it to populate its playlist by giving it my Music directory (and its subdirectories, copied from my iTunes ones). It will work with mp3\'s, but not with m4a\'s.

Is there any way to make this work? Is this a planned feature?

Thanks,
JFLac
ssgelm

Re:AAC (m4a) tags?

Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:14 am
I too would love this as a feature.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:58 pm
You drag a directory full of .m4a\'s and they aren\'t inserted into the playlist? That should work. :/

As far as tag editing support, it would require m4a support from taglib.

Amarok Developer
Ayn

Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:23 pm
This definitely ranks #1 on my wishlist. Please please make amaroK handle AAC like a pro B)
steinmb

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:58 am
#1 on my wishlist to!

I have just compiled the brand new ver. 1.2.3. Looking great, but I`m really missing support on reading/writing m4a-files created by iTunes.
My setup: Home iMac G5 and a iPod with HFS-filesystem
Work: Connecting my iPod to windows dosn`t work, cause of the HFS-filesystem, so I`m using gtkpod on Linux, syncing my iPod :) It just works! :)

Amarok is a great product. The missing link in Linux when it comes to music players. Shure xine, mplayer, VLC all performe well, but they alle have GUI and are difficult to use with a large playlist.

--
Stein
Norway
carvalho

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:26 am
Please....

aac/m4a tag recognition would be great (if I understood it right this has to do with taglib.... but maybe someone can make a patched version of it for amarok?)

add the hability to listen from shared itunes music (aren\'t there some os versions of rendezvous/zeroconf? ourtunes can do this easily in linux -well, java...), and you have everything I need to be happy at work....

thank you fro the hard work, anyway. Amarok is already great.

P
steinmb

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:43 pm
Any news on whenever taglib is going to support m4a?
Could there be a patch, so that we can use gstreamer/xine extracted meta data on m4a formatted files and taglib at everything else?

--
Stein
Norway
Jeff

Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:07 am
eean wrote:
You drag a directory full of .m4a\'s and they aren\'t inserted into the playlist? That should work. :/

my guess is he\'s talking about m4a not working in your collection. I can drag those files into a playlist but can\'t for the life of me get them into my collection...
Steve

Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:02 am
accordng to http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=89045 there is a patch for taglib that supports it, so either its in the new version, or at least soon...

its really quite sad that taglib doesn\'t support AAC tags.
contz

Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:41 am
Isnt there another program for m4a?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:11 pm
If you want to get AAC in taglib, talk to the taglib author. Don\'t talk to us, we can\'t do anything about it. Talk to him, convince him, make some pressure. That\'s the only way to get it done.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer