This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Req: Support Creative Zen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
d0

Feature Req: Support Creative Zen

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:43 pm
Howdy,

i really like your application. Good work guys :)
But one thing: You support the apple ipod. Could you add a feature to upload files from within amarok to the Creative Zen [micro]?

I am using gnomad2 currently, but i don\'t get happy with it...

thanks in advance,
d0.
stan
FULL ACK.

Supporting the iPod is certainly a \"must\", but i think the \"Zen Micro\" is worth supporting it, too.

Excellent work with your player so far!

Greets,
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
Registered Member
The difference between the iPod and most other media players on the planet is that it\'s database based, i.e. it has a database on the device containing meta information and such (kind of like our collection database). Thus we have to provide specific support for the iPod, while the Zen simply is a removable drive. We already support it, just use the file browser to browse your way to where the Zen is mounted, then drag files from the playlist into there.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated :)

..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

"A Vast Swimmer Keeps No Pets"
- Seamus Z. Harper, Andromeda 1:14
VirUZI
A quick look and it seems the Zen and others does in fact use some kind of database that is supported by libnjb.
And I know that my Rio karma needs special programs to transfer music and files like PearlLib
So it would be nice to extend the current iPod interface to support these players through there libraries but that is way over my head...
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Feature Req: Support Creative Zen

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:56 am
leinir: Nah, the primary difference is that while muesli has a iPod, he does not have Zen.

Amarok Developer
nihongr
hi! im not 100% sure that creative zen works with a database but im 100% sure that it doesnt work like a hard drive.
few days ago i discover a new great aplicattion for upload music to my zen micro, i didnt try yet, but screenshots are amazing!!
you can find it here: http://kzenexplorer.sourceforge.net maybe amarok team could work together to implement. I could be a betatester!! :D

im not a coder, im just a linux desktop user, i love amarok but i miss my zen micro works on it :(

( sorry with my english :) . Greetings from Spain!! )
stan
Greets to Spain!

Dear nihongr,
kann U tell me, if you installed the new firmware on ur Zen Micro an if yes, is it still supported by this KZenExplorer?

thx a lot,
stan
stan
About: Zen Micro

We already support it, just use the
file browser to browse your way to where the Zen is mounted, then drag files from the playlist into
there.

Not completely right. AFAIK the Zen Micro has two "partitions". One for data use and one for mp3 use. If u transfer mp3s to the data section (which ONLY appears in the file browser), they can not be played.

Anyway: I´d rather change my hardware player than my software... ;)
amaROCKS ...

stan
connyosis
I\'d love for the Rio Karma to be supported. There is a nice networking protocol written in C being developed [url](http://www.freakysoft.de/html/libkarma/)[/url],
maybe something the amarok developers could use?
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
This has been dead for a while... but I still have my Karma and it\'s great for snowboarding and other activity\'s that I don\'t want to put my iPod at risk with.

Any plans for supporting the Karma?
jux
I don\'t have an iPod so I can only rely on information on handbook. I believe there\'s not a \'synchronize\' option, which would automatically synchronize changes in library to portable player - including tag changes etc. That with a Zen support would be mighty!
Ralf
Hi,

for the Zen you need libnjb. But there is another nice program called kionjb which uses libnjb and shows tracks, albums, artists in konqueror. I think this is pretty similar to ipod kioslave. I've had a look at the amarok ipod support code but I don't think I can change it to work with libnjb or kionjb.
For those who just want to upload tracks from the playlist to any creative jukebox like njb1, njb3, zen, etc.: You can use the "tranfer to media device" script e.g. at http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26850 which I patched to work with njb if you have libnjb and kionjb installed.

Regards, Ralf
dangle_wtf
libnjb device support has *just* been added to svn - still very basic, but so far seems to work well for copying to the device.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"