This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Petition: BBC Ogg Vorbis

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-Andy
Registered Member

Petition: BBC Ogg Vorbis

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 am
Hello.

I have started an online petition to hopefully encourage the BBC to start streaming their audio in Ogg Vorbis.

I would really appreciate it if you\'d take the time to sign it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bbcogg/petition.html

Thanks.
Andy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: The BBC

The Real/Windows media streams provided by the BBC are low quality and proprietary, and it just isn\'t good enough. We want the BBC to stream using open standards which are available to all TV license payers.

We have paid our TV license and we want the BBC to provide their audio streams in Ogg Vorbis. Virgin Radio UK are already streaming in Ogg Vorbis: \"We switched on our Ogg Vorbis streams at 12.15pm on 16 June 2003.\"

Virgin Radio UK can see the reasons why Ogg Vorbis is important: \"It is different from these other formats because it is completely free, open, and unpatented.\" and \"It means that it\'s free to make Ogg Vorbis players. They\'re already available for Unix, Linux, Windows, Macintosh, BeOS, Symbian and for your PS/2. The benefit of that is that you can get Ogg on more platforms than any other audio player.\"

We want the BBC to stream their audio content using open standards, so that it is available to ALL license payers.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
grahammm
Registered Member

Re:Petition: BBC Ogg Vorbis

Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:05 am
I may have remembered wrong, but I think the BBC did trial streaming Ogg Vorbis, but was not a sucess so was disontinued.