This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Music cuts out

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Amoeba
Registered Member

Music cuts out

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:57 am
I\'m not sure if this is an issue with gstreamer or amarok but when I\'m compiling programs, my music cuts out. Sometimes for a split second, sometimes for a few and I\'ve even had amarok crash on me... This DOES NOT happen with any other music player (xmms or beep). I have plenty of RAM 1.2G and a decent CPU Athalon XP 2200+.

Any ideas?
Amoeba
Registered Member

Re:Music cuts out

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:54 am
Just recompiled with xine support. Same issue. So it appears amarok can\'t handle it when packages are compiling. Correct me if I\'m wrong... But if xmms/bmp doesn\'t stall like amarok does, what else is one to deduce?
Amoeba
Registered Member

Sun May 01, 2005 12:18 am
So no one, including the developers, has any ideas. Now it seems amarok just cuts out randomly. In addition, the beginning of all tracks starts lower (sound quality) and a few seconds into the track, the sound boosts back to normal.

I\'d appreciate any input. This is getting quite annoying.
Greven

Sun May 01, 2005 12:29 am
My music has been skipping when just using Firefox....

My computer is a AMD 3500+ with 1GB of memory.
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 02, 2005 12:40 am
Try extending the sound buffer - you can control this in your asound.conf (should be in /etc); increase the value of the \"buffer_size\" field.

If you have no asound.conf, take this one: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/index.php/Se ... x_for_ALSA
(Have a look at the bottom at the page, where it says \"If you get skipping...\")
Amoeba
Registered Member

Mon May 02, 2005 5:46 am
Thanks for that link. I do believe that is going to do the trick...

However, I think I figured out why my tracks begin with what sound like really low sound quality then jumps to normalized volume. This happens when I have crossfading enabled. Once disabled, tracks start at their normal volume...

Any ideas about that?

Post edited by: Amoeba, at: 2005/05/02 01:48
Amoeba
Registered Member

Thu May 05, 2005 2:19 am
I increased my buffer_size value to 65636 but it still skips. I figured this would be a fair sized buffer. What is the average buffer size being used by amarok users?

Thanks