This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Encoding via amaroK

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Greven

Encoding via amaroK

Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:46 pm
Hello,

I would like to start out my saying amaroK is a awesome media player. The one thing I miss from Windows and FooBar2000 is the ability to right-click on a song and click \"convert\". Under \"conver\" you could encode your music into whatever codecs you have installed.

I would love to have this option in amaroK, and linux does not have a good media encoding program.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:Encoding via amaroK

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:23 pm
Well, I do want amaroK to get the option to have scripts on the right click menu for playlist items.

I suppose this might be nice to re-encode music for my muvo2, which hates VBR.

Amarok Developer
Michael Mitton
Registered Member

Sun May 01, 2005 11:47 am
OK, I have a first pass at a script that will convert all the .flac files in your current playlist to .mp3. Here it is:

www.mlmitton.com/files/formatconverter. ... pt.tar.bz2

Requires lame and flac.

It will ask you for a folder--this is the folder where you want the mp3s to go. Currently, all the files go into this directory, i.e., no artist/album subdirectories. (For some reason, when I run the script, I don\'t always get the dialog to capture the save folder. Just rerun.) It does save the meta-tags that lame accepts.

There\'s plenty of work to be done to make a slick converting script, but this at least is a proof of concept. I should have some time over the next few days to do some more work.

Oh, also, I haven\'t had a programming class since Logo in junior high, and Python is my first foray into being a hobbyist programmer. So all comments and suggestions are welcome. The readme has my email.

Post edited by: mlmitton, at: 2005/05/01 07:49
Greven

Mon May 02, 2005 4:03 am
Once college lets out.... I will see what I can do to help.

~Jason
Michael Mitton
Registered Member

Mon May 02, 2005 7:11 am
I\'ve started this script over at kde-apps here:

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=23653

This is a learning experience for me, so I\'ll gladly accept any help!