This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

slow amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Vincent
Registered Member

slow amarok

Wed May 04, 2005 6:37 am
I would like to mention something which bothers me with Amarok.

Features are great, it looks good and it\'s easy to use. No pbm about that.
One thing though: it\'s quite slow. I mean when I click on a song or when I scroll then list there is a significant delay which makes things feel a bit unpleasant.

Itunes for Mac is remarkable for this purpose, the computer seems to react much faster even on a CPU (I know it\'s Mac one cannot compare but still...) significantly slower (I run a dual 2.2GHz Xeon, and my Mac is a 1.2GHz laptop).

It might not be Amarok\'s fault (video card, CPU, Kde, linux kernel... I don\'t know) but I think to make it truly great I would need more speed.
Does someone have the same feeling? And are there ways to speed things up?

Vincent
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re:slow amarok

Wed May 04, 2005 6:47 am
Do you have your entire collection in your playlist? amaroK isn\'t really intended to be used this way (though it should be fine once we have amaroK 2.0).

Amarok Developer
Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
Registered Member

Wed May 04, 2005 6:48 am
It is, as you say, difficult to compare the two, but yes the dual xeon machine ought to be at least somewhat faster than the laptop (I presume a PowerBook G4).

What the big problem is for a lot of people is the amount of songs they throw at amaroK. Due to a limitation of Qt\'s listview, amaroK becomes quite sluggish with around 10,000 and more tracks loaded in the playlist.

If, however, you mean the context browser, then you may want to have a look at nVidia\'s RenderAccell option, which speeds up KHTML\'s rendering speed quite a large amount.

If the first option is what\'s going on, you may find that amaroK CVS is something for you. It has a new Party mode, which works quite nicely for people who use amaroK like I do, but who at the same time have collections so large as to make amaroK eat up the system by loading the entire thing. Simply tell Party Mode to use random tracks, and you should get an experience pretty much like what you\'re used to, only a lot faster :) You won\'t be able to use the playlist\'s filter like you normally would, but for that you then have the collection browser\'s filter, which will do just much the same thing :)

The problem with Qt\'s listview has been solved in Qt4, but we will not be switching to using that before amaroK 2.0, which will be based around KDE4.

Good luck :)

..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

"A Vast Swimmer Keeps No Pets"
- Seamus Z. Harper, Andromeda 1:14
brk3
Registered Member

Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 pm
Also what you may not have tried is deleting your config folder. I know you lose your settings and stats but I was having major trouble with the slowness you described and since I reset my configuration things have gone back to normal.
Give it a try if you\'ve upgraded recently :)
DanielW

Wed May 04, 2005 9:26 pm
If you have a large Collection try using mysql instead of sqlite.

At the moment mysql is much faster on some queries than sqlite.

For me (13 000 tracks in colleciton) that makes it feeling faster.
Vincent
Registered Member

Fri May 06, 2005 5:06 am
Thank you all. Indeed my collection is very large and that must be the pbm. I\'ll try another data base system and see how it goes.

Vincent