This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok over home network

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
David Bruce

Amarok over home network

Fri May 20, 2005 2:54 am
I have two Debian machines at home, and I would like to set up Amarok to access a common database from either of them. Each machine has three user accounts (me, my wife, and my daughter).

My main (\"server\") computer downstairs is where I rip and store all my CDs. The oggs are located under /home/dbruce/ogg, which is world-readable. I have set up MySQL as the database. If I log into that computer as any user, Amarok seems to work exactly as expected.

My daughter\'s computer upstairs has access to the server\'s /home using NFS. I had some difficulty at first getting Amarok on that computer to connect to the MySQL database on the server, although it could get to the ogg files via NFS, so it scanned the entire downstairs collection and presumably built its own SQLite DB.

As of yesterday, I got the upstairs computer to connect to the MySQL DB on the server, but it didn\'t see the collection until I rescanned it, and after scanning the collection, none of the cover images were there, so I am skeptical as to whether it is really the same database.

What I would like (ideally) is:
1. A single database containing all music files and covers
2. Separate playlists for each user according to who logs in
3. I\'m not worried too much about track ratings, etc.
4. A single installation of the Amarok app to maintain.

I think that using the upstairs computer as a remote X terminal may be the way to go, once I figure out how to do it, but I don\'t really know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for being so verbose.
sebr

Re:Amarok over home network

Fri May 20, 2005 7:05 am
David Bruce wrote:
What I would like (ideally) is:
1. A single database containing all music files and covers
2. Separate playlists for each user according to who logs in
3. I\'m not worried too much about track ratings, etc.
4. A single installation of the Amarok app to maintain.

1. a) isn\'t this what the MySQL database does?
b) the only way to share covers is to symlink the directories to a common directory on the server

2. This should happen anyhow, since amaroK configuration is stored under the user profile. Each user would have a different config setting

3. Ok. But this is implied with 1a)

4. Only way this is going to happen is if you have one installation on the server, and you use a remote login.