This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jord

Wed May 25, 2005 4:51 pm
For those following the SVN, the last three days we\'ve seen some experiments with the widgets for the side toolbar.

First experiment was to have the buttons on top of each other, each becoming a drawer. Like this

context
Collection
Playlists
Media Devices

Clicking on collection would scroll up the dots and make a situation like this
context
collection
Playlists

You get the deal.
Now my personal opinion is that this takes up too much vertical space. Space needed for listing my collection and my various albums in the context

The next day we had the toolbar like the one in contact. Big buttons left to the actual context. Like the way it was in 1.2, but then with big buttons. Although better I liked the original design better than this new big interface. I also found myself moving around the slidebar between the context browser and the playlist, since the horizontal space was now reduced.

Today we are back to the beginning. Nice small buttons at the side. Vertical text, you know the ones. I have to say that after having seen the other options I really prefer this one. Call me conservative. It is slick and doesn\'t take too much space, leaving the space for what is important: the best audio application I have seen.
theboywho

Re:Feedback: Side toolbar icons

Wed May 25, 2005 4:58 pm
I agree, KMultiTabBar browser bar looks very good; however, I like having the text only appear on the current tab, with the text for the other, inactive, tabs hidden - this saves *loads* of vertical space.
Jord
Another update, another look \'n\' feel.

Today the sidebar is like yesterday, but he buttons are evenly spread. They all have the same size, using the whole side (which means every button has 20% of the whole length). I\'m not sure what I like better.

For files and Context, the buttons sure are greater than the deserve, then again, there is no wasted empty space anymore. It would be nice if we could you configure it, maybe.

What will be next? Multiple tabs, where you can enable both context and collection, so they will each have about 50% of the vertical space. I think programs like Kdevelop and Kate use this, so it might be an option here as well. Personally I would be very happy if I can control this.