This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ignore "the" in artist names when ordering

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jakamoko
I suspect this might have come up before, I did search for it, but try putting \"the\" as a seach term...

The (trivial) problem:
I like The Killers (e.g), but I want to find their tracks in my playlist under K, not under T, so I tag them as Killers rather than The Killers. Amarok submits these tracks to audioscrobbler as killers (and there is another band called \"Killers\") so audioscrobbler tells me I should really try listening to \"The Killers\" (even though I am) and probably suggests bands to me because it thinks I like \"Killers\" even though I\'ve never heard one of their songs.Also, if I\'m ripping a CD, freedb might list one album as \"Flaming Lips\" and another as \"The Flaming Lips\" so these are split up in my collection.

Suggestion:
Have (as an option) the playlist ignore, for the purposes of ordering, \"The\" when it appears at the start of an artist name - so \"The Killers\" would appear under K if I have this option enabled.

Yes, I know, I could use \"Killers, The\" (I\'ve actually switched to that now) and correct tags manually, but I\'m lazy.

Cheers,
Jak
carl0ski
Registered Member
here here you have my vote is spent hours changing

The Offspring , The Killers on all my mp3s to
Offspring, The
etc because the nucsience of people adding the to theit bands name,
Earthnail
You got my vote!! This is something I\'d really love to see, it\'d spare me hours of renaming!! :woohoo:
Juan Ignacio Pumarino
That feature is coming in 1.3-beta3 (I\'m using 1.3-SVN which has it already) but I can\'t find a way of turning it OFF... I consider the \"The\" part of names important. and I usually think of bands considering that.
ms
It would be very good if this feature would allow the user to define by themselves which words in front of a bands name should be filtered, because this bandname-problem does exist in other Languages as well.

German bands for example:
-Die Ärzte
-Die toten Hosen
-Die apokalypischen Reiter

Maybe there could just be a config option called \"words to ignore in collection browser\", allowing more than one word to be filtered.

there could also be a preset based on the users language.
English amaroK -> \"The\" filtered
German amaroK -> \"The\" & \"Die\" filtered

:)
sebr
I\'ve already implemented

The Killers -> Killers, The

in the collection browser.

However, we can\'t simply ignore The from artist names. For example, \'Prodigy\' and \'The Prodigy\' are two separate artists.
Jakamoko
I posted this, checked a couple of times and then forgot for several weeks. Then remembered again...

Thanks for your thoughts guys, and the info regarding this feature in the collection manager.

As Seb points out, my suggested playlist ordering ignoring \"the\" could result in the playlist showing (playlist ordered by artist, then by album)

Prodigy - A
The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Prodigy - G

(I don\'t know any Prodigy albums, but I\'m sure you get the idea.)

Which I\'d agree would be step backwards. Anyway, thanks for giving a reason, rather than just saying \"no\". And thanks for all the great work on amarok in general, it leaves everything else I\'ve tried for dead.