This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature request on randomized playing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jeff
I would like to be able to set amoroK to use the random feature of a playlist, but I have one issue with that.

I have several works in my playlist...mostly classical pieces, that are multiple tracks, but I really want to be played as a single overall work...even with a random selection. Think along the lines of a symphony...each movement is a seperate track, which is as it should be, I believe...but I really don\'t want the random feature to jump in and play the 3rd movement of the symphony, then jump off to somewhere else.

I\'m not sure the best way to handle something like this...the best thought I\'ve come up with is to create the concept of \"track grouping\" or something like that...where the random feature would then select randomly among the track groups rather than just the individual tracks. By default, each track would be a single track in a single group, but with the ability to join multiple tracks into a single group.

That\'s a really rough thought on the idea...I suspect this idea would take some serious fleshing out to be useful...but I\'ve been frustrated over the years by the inability to do something along these lines in music players.
Knavish
Registered Member
I just had the same thought as Jeff here.  I don't suppose anyone has a creative suggestion for this problem?

If only there were more classical music fans out there, this might be addressed :)
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
Why not just queue all the individual files that are part of a single movement?  Or even better, queue the whole album then you can listen to the entire symphony! :)
dangle_wtf
or play with random albums :)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
lfranchi
KDE Developer
what dangle means is to a make all of your "groupings" into individual albums, and then select Mode -> Random -> Albums. That will play random albums in order,  but each album fully sequentially.

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
dangle_wtf
ty Leo :) That's exactly what I mean

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"