This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Support for tributes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-shiny
Registered Member
It\'ll be cool, if amarok could somehow support tribute albums in Context browser. Albums by X, Compilations by X, Tributes to X, thats what I mean.
Im sure its not easy to determine automaticly whether some album is a tribute or not, but a simple item in right-click menu in collection browser (like \"mark/unmark as a tribute\") would help. Think about it.
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, can you explain what that\'s good for?
imported-shiny
Registered Member
For the same as \"Compilations by...\" - for information. If I\'m listening to, lets say, Judas Priest, I would like to know if I have some tributes to Judas Priest in my collection. Isn\'t it logical? And it sure qualifies as \"context\", doesn\'t it?
HairMetalAddict
Registered Member
I\'d imagine the only way to really get this to work would be to go by the \"original artist\" tag on MP3s. (\"TOPE\" ID3 tag frame)

I used that on a personal MP3 database I made.

Used EasyTag to add extra info to tags, such as \"original artist\". My database-filler script checked that frame and used info in it to specify if it was a cover song (or tribute album in the case where all songs on the album were originally by the same artist).

MB taggers don\'t tag this, and such info probably isn\'t available in MB anyway. Which means hand-editing.

Not sure if it would be feasible in amaroK though. Works in my personal database only because every single MP3 I have is perfectly MB-tagged, and hand-edited to add year and original artist info. Plus I only have full albums, no individual tracks.

How this would work with people with messy collections is beyond me. :-P

imported-shiny
Registered Member
So, the item in right-click menu, which I was talking about earlier, could fill this tag for us, and everybody would be happy. Don\'t you think so?