This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

my review and sugjestions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cottnonwood

my review and sugjestions

Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:14 am
ok. ive used amaroK regularly since 1.0 and ive got a few sugjestions.

first, amaroK claims to be the \"next generation media player\" and rightly, it has some awsome and unique features that i love. However, amaroK seems to have missed some of the basics. It cant rip cd\'s. it cant play cds (i guess \"can\" but it doenst work).
- make amaroK able to rip cd\'s to mp3 and ogg
- make burning more available.
- make a \"my library\" tab. it might seem minor, but i like to be able to play all of my songs at the same time, and also see all of my songs. this would make me happier (btw, keep the content tab, it is also nice).
- fix the scoring for songs. its a good idea, but its flawed. just because i stop or skip a song doesnt mean i dont like it, and therefore should be rated lower. i think that *I* should be able to rate my songs (yes, i can edit tag score but still.....). what i think would be good is choose a number from 1-10 (or 100), that would me much better than the popular 5 star system. when rated a certain rate, give it a color, or an icon to make it look cool. definetely keep the sujgested, and my fav. songs. and all that stuff. i love it.
- make visualizations more intergrated
- make the pocket dell dj supported (a wish, but doable...look at the lsongs source code...it supports my dell)
- decide on a stinking icon: what would be cool, imo, would be to mix the 1.2 and 1.3 icons....
- make the pause and play buttons the same thing...all other media players do it, and its much easier, not to mention, im used to it. and, when i press play to pause (since i am used to it ;) ), it starts the song over. that makes me mad
- make your own back/play/pause/ff buttons....using system buttons isnt as cool. plus they are different on each distro...make some silverish ones...that\'d be cool
- i dont know if this is possible or not, but with the OSD...have it show up when the amaroK window is not on top/ the active window. when im using amaroK i find it annoying when OSD comes on. however, it is sweet when im using a different app.
- another wish: instead of just havint the conexent browser being able to be themed, make the whole player themable....
- have access to a music store...like mp3.com, or mp3tunes...or cnet\'s...

but, amaroK is the best media player...ever, on any platform.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re:my review and sugjestions

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:33 pm
I\'ll reply to some points that I find interesting:

cottnonwood wrote:

- make a "my library" tab. it might seem minor, but i like to be able to play all of my songs at the same time, and also see all of my songs. this would make me happier (btw, keep the content tab, it is also nice).

Can you elaborate? What is the difference to the Collection Browser with flat-view mode?

- make visualizations more intergrated

A patch exists for embedding visualizations into the playlist. However, I lost track of the guy who wrote it, and have no idea where this patch is ;)

- make the pause and play buttons the same thing...all other media players do it, and its much easier, not to mention, im used to it. and, when i press play to pause (since i am used to it ;) ), it starts the song over. that makes me mad

A Play/Pause button is available, silly. Simply configure your toolbar.

- make your own back/play/pause/ff buttons....using system buttons isnt as cool. plus they are different on each distro...make some silverish ones...that\'d be cool

We\'d love to have an entire custom iconset for amaroK. Alas, finding a good artist to do it is the hard part.

- have access to a music store...like mp3.com, or mp3tunes...or cnet\'s...

Yeah I\'m also in favour of this idea. We might cook something up.

Post edited by: markey, at: 2005/06/23 09:34

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:42 pm
Hehe, mp3.com is CNET\'s. :silly:

At least one of the Dell devices is actually just a Creative device, if I get Google\'s summer of code I\'ll be writing a plugin for it.

Amarok Developer
cottonwood

Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:07 am
Can you elaborate? What is the difference to the Collection Browser with flat-view mode?

the collection browser shows the artists. to see a song, you have to click the artist, and then the album. and you cant see details about the song/file.
w/a my library tab, it would be in the main part of the window, showing all details. take lsongs for example, or windows media player, or itunes. all have a main library, displaying all of the songs. sometimes you just want to play all your songs, or manage all your songs at the same time. the collection browser reminds me of music match, which is the worst media player ever. to add to this, it would bed cool to add a "cd" tab. there, you could play a cd, rip/import it, and see track details of it.

A Play/Pause button is available, silly. Simply configure your toolbar.

ah.....i knew there had to be something....thanks...

We\'d love to have an entire custom iconset for amaroK. Alas, finding a good artist to do it is the
hard part.

everaldo comes to mind.....howbout have a contest between amaroK users. whoever comes up w/the best icon set get a free t-shirt or something.

eean...good luck on that plugin B)
muesli
KDE Developer

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:52 am
arg. so switch the collectionbrowser to the flat-view instead of the tree-view. look at the toolbar above it. third button there.

...muesli